Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 136

Thread: HMR group possibly stealing the Ubuntu Logo

  1. #91
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: HMR group possibly stealing the Ubuntu Logo

    Quote Originally Posted by metromapper View Post

    [update] direct links don't work, so go here, click New User Form Search (Basic), then type ubuntu: http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?...glish&p_d=trmk

    Side note: I designed a logo for a non-profit company back in 2004, but it never got used. The weird thing is that one of the variations looked a lot like the current Ubuntu logo, so when I saw it later, it was really freaky to me. This logo of mine never saw the light of day (the went with something totally different), but it's weird. Even the colors I chose (for a multi-cultrual international institution) were very similar.
    The first logo could be exceptional. I wouldn't notice that it resembles the Ubuntu logo unless I was comparing them side to side.

    Nice post by the way.

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Beans
    128

    Re: HMR group possibly stealing the Ubuntu Logo

    Quote Originally Posted by Tristam Green View Post
    I smell a potential shill in this thread.



    No, we don't, not when used properly. As in, functions of a business. A logo is a business function, as is a trademark, and ripping one off to create another is altogether rather unforgivable.
    Typical. I point out what I see as an irony and I'm immediately labeled a shill.

    Do you even know what a shill is?

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Beans
    182

    Re: HMR group possibly stealing the Ubuntu Logo

    Quote Originally Posted by tsali View Post
    Typical. I point out what I see as an irony and I'm immediately labeled a shill.

    Do you even know what a shill is?

    *eyebrow*

    I don't recall labeling you as such.

    If I had, I'd have quoted you, then said "I smell a shill".

    Matter of fact, I was (in the moment) alluding to Giant Speck, an assessment that I retract in light of further understanding of his reasoning; his reasoning may be sound, even though I do not agree with it.
    The views expressed in this post belong to Tristam Green and do not represent the views of any other entity, foreign or domestic, as long as you both shall live, Amen.
    OMG! Cheesecake! | Fuduntu - catch the fever!

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Beans
    117
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: HMR group possibly stealing the Ubuntu Logo

    ubuntu is open source!

    in open source you have the right to copy and sell the content. So whats the problem here? Ubuntu and and the ubuntu logo are open source, and everyone can copy it and rename it to anything they want and they can sell it.

  5. #95
    Therion is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Right behind you...
    Beans
    2,768
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

    Re: HMR group possibly stealing the Ubuntu Logo

    Quote Originally Posted by windows-killer View Post
    ... Ubuntu and and the ubuntu logo are open source, and everyone can copy it and rename it to anything they want and they can sell it.
    The Ubuntu name and logo are trademarked property of Canonical LTD.

    © 2009 Canonical Ltd. Ubuntu and Canonical are registered trademarks of Canonical Ltd.
    Source: http://www.canonical.com/

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Beans
    117
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: HMR group possibly stealing the Ubuntu Logo

    Quote Originally Posted by Therion View Post
    The Ubuntu name and logo are trademarked property of Canonical LTD.


    Source: http://www.canonical.com/
    ok
    This tells me that canonical is close sourcing its logo. why would you want to use their OS since it has a small closed source component? same thing applies to launchpad.
    I know many Linux users hate having a closed source component on their OS regardless if its offered at no cost with or without agreements.
    I love ubuntu but am trying to understand you guys by asking you all these questions. although to be honest, I would not mind if ubuntu was the same OS (linux based) but closed source and I would not mind paying for it.

  7. #97
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Porirua, New Zealand
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: HMR group possibly stealing the Ubuntu Logo

    Quote Originally Posted by windows-killer View Post
    ok
    This tells me that canonical is close sourcing its logo. why would you want to use their OS since it has a small closed source component? same thing applies to launchpad.
    I know many Linux users hate having a closed source component on their OS regardless if its offered at no cost with or without agreements.
    I love ubuntu but am trying to understand you guys by asking you all these questions. although to be honest, I would not mind if ubuntu was the same OS (linux based) but closed source and I would not mind paying for it.
    And now a word from our sponsor.........






    (just kidding)
    There's no such thing as a free lunch. Even with OSS, there's usually some kind of terms and conditions (an example can be found here)
    Don't our friends at Canonical have a right to protect their investment of time and money?
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: HMR group possibly stealing the Ubuntu Logo

    Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    Don't our friends at Canonical have a right to protect their investment of time and money?
    shouldn't that apply to closed-source/proprietary software then? the majority here do not think so.

  9. #99
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Beans
    211
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: HMR group possibly stealing the Ubuntu Logo

    Quote Originally Posted by windows-killer View Post
    ubuntu is open source!

    in open source you have the right to copy and sell the content. So whats the problem here? Ubuntu and and the ubuntu logo are open source, and everyone can copy it and rename it to anything they want and they can sell it.
    Ubuntu's Linux's source code is open source, not the trademark.
    Whoever has registered that trademark first in a particular country will have the right to remain that trademark. The other party will be forced to change its logo. It's as simple as that.
    There are two sides to every story: my side and the wrong side.

  10. #100
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Beans
    211
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: HMR group possibly stealing the Ubuntu Logo

    Quote Originally Posted by windows-killer View Post
    ok
    This tells me that canonical is close sourcing its logo. why would you want to use their OS since it has a small closed source component? same thing applies to launchpad.
    I know many Linux users hate having a closed source component on their OS regardless if its offered at no cost with or without agreements.
    I love ubuntu but am trying to understand you guys by asking you all these questions. although to be honest, I would not mind if ubuntu was the same OS (linux based) but closed source and I would not mind paying for it.
    The idea of GPL is that the source code is open, so you and I have the right to copy the source code, and give it a different logo if we wish, and then redistribute the same source code with a different logo as we wish.
    Trademark is an entirely different concept. A trademark is a representation of a company.
    There are two sides to every story: my side and the wrong side.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •