Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Proper fix for > Realtek ALC1200 Audio = no sound

Beans

Re: Proper fix for > Realtek ALC1200 Audio = no sound

Just to confirm, this fixes coaxial S/PDIF as well? Digital output fully working?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Rusna View Post
    Just to confirm, this fixes coaxial S/PDIF as well? Digital output fully working?
    I guess so, didn't notice

fix is non-destructive and done in less then a minute, why don't you try and report here ?

also notice I found a 2nd solution, but this involves compiling your own driver > http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...7&postcount=19
    democracy : 2 wolves and a sheep voting on "what's for dinner"
    i am self-employed, and my views reflect the electrical charges held between many simultaneously firing synapses... or is that synapsi?
    http://3d.uk.to

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This works for me,

I have the ALC888
    Ubuntu 9.10

Code:
    $ aplay -l
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
      Subdevices: 0/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    Last edited by JoyousDeath; January 16th, 2010 at 09:24 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by JoyousDeath View Post
    This works for me,

I have the ALC888
    Ubuntu 9.10

Good for you.
    But enlighten me > what does the ALC888 have in common with with the ALC1200 ?
    Nothing I'm afraid.
    Reply is off-topic and polluting the thread, please delete > post in own thread, for example > Proper fix for > Realtek ALC888 Audio = no sound
    Last edited by djamu; January 17th, 2010 at 03:57 AM. Reason: spel
    i am self-employed, and my views reflect the electrical charges held between many simultaneously firing synapses... or is that synapsi?

Beans

Hi! I have a question... I have an ASUS P5Q motherboard with the ingloriuos Realtek ALC1200 audio chipset.

I can't have more than 2 channels in Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic. I use analog audio (6 channels, 5.1 surround, 3 analog cables - 1 for the 2x fronts, 1 for the 2x surround and 1 for the center and subwoofer).

Where is the problem?

One more question... Which solution is better?:

Solition 1:

Quote Originally Posted by djamu View Post
    Proper fix for Realtek ALC1200

took me a while to figure this one out > thanks to the guys at the Fedora forums.

solution is simple. just create an option config file in /etc/modprobe.d/

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/hda_intel.conf
    and paste this in it.

Code:
    options snd-hda-intel model=auto probe_mask=1
    save this
    reboot ( or restart your services etc ... )

check your volume is up...

have fun...
    or:

Solution 2:

I have an ASUS P5QL Pro motherboard with the ALC1200 HD Audio chipset too.

However I managed to fix this with another method.

RealTek has a Linux driver which works perfectly in Ubuntu even though the notes don't specifically list the ALC1200 HD Audio chipset.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...3&DownTypeID=3

Download the linux driver from this page and follow the instructions in the Readme for the for the "Azalia controller" chipset. This driver even enables the SPDIF output on the P5QL motherboard. Then follow this wiki to enable the Pulseaudio ALSA plugin:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PulseAudio

This will enable all sound from all applications and let you independently mix and set volume for each app if you want.

I have perfectly working digital audio from my P5QL Pro motherboard over a coaxial SPDIF RCA cable to an A/V Receiver.
    I think the #2 Solution is better, but the underlined part concerns me... How can I use a ALC888 driver for ALC1200?!

So what should I do? Compile a driver or simply edit the hda_intel.conf?

(I'm new to Ubuntu. This is my first post. If there is problem with it, I'll delete it.)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

sorry for the late reply

Quote Originally Posted by mutha88 View Post
    Hi! I have a question... I have an ASUS P5Q motherboard with the ingloriuos Realtek ALC1200 audio chipset.

I can't have more than 2 channels in Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic. I use analog audio (6 channels, 5.1 surround, 3 analog cables - 1 for the 2x fronts, 1 for the 2x surround and 1 for the center and subwoofer).

Where is the problem?
    mmm, I'm afraid I don't understand your question,

Does it work without any of those 2 fixes ?

One more question... Which solution is better?:

Solition 1:

or:
    Solution 2:

I think the #2 Solution is better, but the underlined part concerns me... How can I use a ALC888 driver for ALC1200?!

So what should I do? Compile a driver or simply edit the hda_intel.conf?
    Ignore the previous post about the ALC888 ...

What is better ? The one that suits your needs / the easiest.

Adding the hda_intel.conf file is done in less then 30sec.
    If it works ( and it should work ) then there's no need for you to look any further. ( It's just a tweak on an available driver )

On the other hand compiling a new driver can be good if you want to hone your linux skills > a warning is in place though, there's no guarantee of success.
    Don't worry about that driver being written for a different device. A lot of components from the same family share the same hardware design > and with that share the same base code.
    For example if one is unable to find a driver for a specific device from a manufacturer >

Most board designs are based on reference designs -meaning a certain chip on a board has to be accompanied by a certain other chip-, this means PCB boards from different manufacturers will look very much alike > ( for example an nvidia board with a specific GPU from brand A will have (almost) the same layout as those from brand B, and it's very safe to assume a driver from manufacturer B will work on a board from manufacturer A

In contrast to M$ drivers, Linux drivers are ( almost) always based on chip family rather then brand... which is in a way smarter, but there's one problem with that.
    Some chips ( for example the X58 chipset ) have capabilities that are not used in brand A but are in use by brand B.
    For example an additional bus where one is able to connect a 3rd party controller.

A good example for this is the X58 chipset ( for those i7 CPU's ) it doesn't have a PATA controller but does have a bus for a 3rd party PATA controller > any manufacturer can hook up whatever PATA controller they like. This means a X58 board will work flawless in linux .... but the PATA controller most likely won't ( because it's custom )

To make a long story short, my fix enables some switches the generic driver had not enabled > so if your board works without my "fix" you simply don't need it ..

Jan
    Last edited by djamu; February 10th, 2010 at 12:38 PM. Reason: spel

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Let me try this one

thanks
    whatever you think you are is whatever you are

Beans

Thank you djamu!

Well here are the results. I've installed Ubuntu on a fresh partition, now I have Win 7 + Ubuntu on my PC.

My audio is running... I have 5.1 surround... All I've done was to open Sound Preferences and select Analog 5.1 Surround Output.

Now here is my problem. When I minimize some windows or open Vuze torrent client or make some kind of a very small load to Ubuntu, the mp3 I am playing stops for a second... Basically there is a "lag" if you understand, what I mean.

Why is this happening? Should I do the config you've posted? Will it stop the lagging?

I have one more small question... Is it normal my CPU1 to be at 99,5% all the time? Is it because of the audio drivers?

I can make screenshots of my audio, but in Audacious2 it says, that I'm using ALSA with Realtek ALC1200 (hd:0)... Something like that.

I'm a noobie, sorry for the lame questions...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mutha88 View Post
    Thank you djamu!
    snipsnipsnip....

My audio is running... I have 5.1 surround... All I've done was to open Sound Preferences and select Analog 5.1 Surround Output.

....with my fix or with a compiled driver ?
    Now here is my problem. When I minimize some windows or open Vuze torrent client or make some kind of a very small load to Ubuntu, the mp3 I am playing stops for a second... Basically there is a "lag" if you understand, what I mean.

Why is this happening? Should I do the config you've posted? Will it stop the lagging?

I have one more small question... Is it normal my CPU1 to be at 99,5% all the time? Is it because of the audio drivers?

I can make screenshots of my audio, but in Audacious2 it says, that I'm using ALSA with Realtek ALC1200 (hd:0)... Something like that.

I'm a noobie, sorry for the lame questions...
    Open a terminal and give the "top" command, with that your able to see the process that is causing the load. Copy that and come back to me.

Beans

djamu, hi again! Sorry for the long pause, I'm busy these days...

I just wanted to share with the community, that my drivers are working... But I'm not sure, that everything is all right...

I've done your settings for the driver!

When I open Sound Preferences, I see "Internal Audio" as a device and under it: Analog Stereo Output. In this "scenario" I get a 5.1 surround on mp3s, flac and basically audio playback.

Strangely, if I try to switch to "Analog Surround 5.1 Output" I begin to hear only 2 channels??? In every application... Why is that?

It is quite bizarre (for me...). Anyway, I tried a DTS file - everything is working fine - In smplayer I'm using "output driver: alsa (0.0 HDA Intel)" and 5.1 Surround channels.

In Audacious2, Exaile, RhythmBox I have proper playback, all 6 channels are working.

So... does this mean that all of my drivers are OK now?

One more thing - I can't get a proper playback in Amarok... Sometimes it plays, sometimes It doesn't play... It just pops a "ballon" saying, that Realtek ALC1200 Analog isn't working...I don't know why... But I kind of want to work with Amarok, it is the best player for me...

These days I'll try to find time and make more tests.

EDIT:

Here is my audio, detected after typing aplay -l in the terminal:
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC1200 Analog [ALC1200 Analog]
    Subdevices: 0/1
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC1200 Digital [ALC1200 Digital]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Last edited by mutha88; February 12th, 2010 at 11:40 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast