Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu vs OS X

Beans

Ubuntu vs OS X

I am contemplating moving completely to Ubuntu in the future but I have grown pretty accustomed to OS X. Keynote, Aperture, and Final Cut Pro are apps that I am going to be needing and I do know there are alternatives on Linux like F-Spot for Aperture but I am not too sure how it stacks up. I have tested it on 10.04 and it seems to crash a lot but works faster then Aperture.

It seems with everything concerning media management, commercial software is a safer option in the long run.
    Last edited by v5point0; March 28th, 2011 at 09:37 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu vs OS X

You will never find anything as good as FCP, or even Aperture I don't think, on the Linux platform. Well, not in the near future anyway. This is simply because it is not the platform of choice for developers.

I use Linux exclusively on my main desktop, my server, and netbook, however I also have a Windows PC for stuff like Photoshop, AutoCAD, etc. This is because Linux supports the stuff I do on a daily basis very well, but for image editing there's just nothing available.

If I were you, judging from your needs, I'd keep OSX. It's not a bad system.
    Server: 2.2GHz Athlon 64; 4GB; 2TB; Debian 5 x64
    LividEmperor: 3.3GHz i5 2500K; 8GB; 660GB; Ubuntu 10.10 x64 + Windows 7 x64
    Netbook1: 1.6GHz Atom; 2GB; 160GB; Ubuntu 10.10 x86
    Dogeatdog: 3GHz Phenom II; 3GB; 1TB; Windows 7 x64

Beans

If you are so happy with OSX, why would you want to use Linux? Without some very compelling reason, I can't recommend anything but to keep using OSX.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Simian Man View Post
    If you are so happy with OSX, why would you want to use Linux? Without some very compelling reason, I can't recommend anything but to keep using OSX.
    Well I might have quite alot of reasons; say if I was setting up a server, or wanted more performance out of an old PC. I actually prefer Linux for things like programming aswell - I prefer GNOME to OSX's GUI. But as for this case, I really can't see why the OP would want to switch.
    Server: 2.2GHz Athlon 64; 4GB; 2TB; Debian 5 x64
    LividEmperor: 3.3GHz i5 2500K; 8GB; 660GB; Ubuntu 10.10 x64 + Windows 7 x64
    Netbook1: 1.6GHz Atom; 2GB; 160GB; Ubuntu 10.10 x86
    Dogeatdog: 3GHz Phenom II; 3GB; 1TB; Windows 7 x64

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

v5point0, take it slow and enjoy the ride. I'm making a similar transition myself, and the one thing I've learned is to take it in stages, learn what you need as you go, and fewgawdsakes don't format the Mac drive to wipe out OS X until you're really sure that's what you want to do.

I haven't even done that myself, but largely because I enjoy having two computers and the much broader range of hardware available beyond the confines of Apple's dozen or so models.

Unless you absolutely need to dual boot, I enjoy being able to use both OSes side by side, and there are lot's of choices when getting a computer for Ubuntu.

Looking forward to seeing how your transition progresses. Best of luck, and may all your hardware be auto-detected.

Beans
    Hidden!

Greatest thing about Linux - You can run it on a normal PC, which is usually less than 1/2 the cost of a comparable Mac.

Beans

I have been having a problem with applications as well,

It seems the only formats that commercial programs are made for are windows and Mac osx. So I'm not sure wether I should even use ubuntu, is there any real point?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Neojack14 View Post
    I have been having a problem with applications as well,

It seems the only formats that commercial programs are made for are windows and Mac osx. So I'm not sure wether I should even use ubuntu, is there any real point?
    From my experience, Mac's software pool is far more shallow. You're always going to find specialized software that isn't on one operating system, or works better on one operating system. But these pieces of software usually only exist in the business world. And for that we have virtual machines, terminal servers, and emulators.

Beans

There are many reasons I am considering Ubuntu as a replacement:

Long term backward compatibility support with softwares and hardwares at least longer then OS X
    Freedom to build own machine at a fraction of the cost which is more powerful
    Better performance according to various test done comparing the two OSes
    Free OS and lots of free software
    Plays nicely with website which are only compatible with Windows

In the future, I will probably create a Hackintosh for access to those specific OS X apps that I need but everything else I think Ubuntu can do just as well and so I want to get comfortable with it. Right now I am running Ubuntu 10.04 in a VirtualBox, playing with it every now and then. Though this is not the ideal way of learning a new OS (personally I found solely living with one OS for a period of time will get you there faster, as you have no choice but to figure things out - that was how I transitioned from Windows to OS X).

I also want to know is upgrading on Ubuntu simple? It looks pretty simple according to http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/upgrade

Will all the user data be migrated smoothly?
    Last edited by v5point0; March 28th, 2011 at 03:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by fela View Post
    You will never find anything as good as FCP, or even Aperture I don't think, on the Linux platform. Well, not in the near future anyway. This is simply because it is not the platform of choice for developers.

I use Linux exclusively on my main desktop, my server, and netbook, however I also have a Windows PC for stuff like Photoshop, AutoCAD, etc. This is because Linux supports the stuff I do on a daily basis very well, but for image editing there's just nothing available.

If I were you, judging from your needs, I'd keep OSX. It's not a bad system.
    Photo editing software is accomplished using The GIMP.

Video editing is done via a host of software titles like kdenlive, kino, avidemux, cinelerra, etc.

F-Spot and the better Shotwell are more comparable to iPhoto while The GIMP is more comparable to Photoshop and Aperture.
    Windows, only good for gaming.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast