Thread: split video with ffmpeg without losing frames

Beans

Post split video with ffmpeg without losing frames

Hi,

I am trying to split a video into several consecutive clips using ffmpeg's -ss and -t options. I need to not lose or repeat frames between clips (i.e. clip 2 needs to start exactly where clip 1 ended). Since my videos are at 30 frames per second and ffmpeg's options only allow one to specify time to the second, how can I get around this? If it's not possible with ffmpeg, can somebody suggest other software (for windows and linux) that can do this? I will need to run a batch job, though, since I need to split lots of files, so software that is gui-only won't work.

Below is my ffmpeg code:

@echo on
    FOR %%X IN (*.avi) DO (ffmpeg -i "%%X" -vcodec mjpeg -qscale 1 -an -ss 00:00:10 -t 00:00:30 "%%X1.avi" -ss 00:0040 -t 00:00:30 "%%X2.avi")

Thanks everybody! (This is my first post . . .)
    Yael

Beans

Re: split video with ffmpeg without losing frames

FFmpeg should allow you to specify time to the frame: hh:mm:ss:ff. Also, instead of re-encoding each split section, you can try copying the stream. I'm not sure if this works with all formats due to the nature of long GOP, etc:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i input.avi -an -vcodec copy -ss 00:00:10:15 -t 00:00:30:00 output1.avi -an -vcodec copy -ss 00:00:20:16 -t 00:00:30:00 output2.avi

Beans

Cool. Thanks!

Do you know if there's a way of having ffmpeg find out the total length of the video in time? All I know is the size of the file. I would ideally like to split the files into equal parts. Also, is there a way of saying 'encode until you get to the end' if I don't know where the end is?

Thanks again!

Beans

Hi,
    Finding total length of video was quite tricky
    Please check the following url:
    http://leaveurdream.blogspot.com/201...eo-in-php.html