View Poll Results: When will Ubuntu require more than one CD?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • It will happen before the next LTS

6 7.23%
  • It will not happen for some time yet

44 53.01%
  • Ubuntu will always be on one CD

25 30.12%
  • Other

8 9.64%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Ubuntu ever require more than one CD?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Will Ubuntu ever require more than one CD?

The ISO for 9.04 is 699 MB if I recall correctly, which is only 1 MB under the limit for a standard CD. With Ubuntu adding new features with each new release, do you think that they are going to have to use more than one for the standard desktop release eventually?
    Last edited by Ozor Mox; May 14th, 2009 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Added some detail

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Will Ubuntu ever require more than one CD?

I've seen a LOT more added to Ubuntu since 7.04 and the CD back then was still 700MB.

Perhaps in the future it may become DVD. Most other distros are. Debian has like 30CDs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I don't think so.
    Ubuntu has only a tightly integrated gnome de and some customizations

Beans
    Hidden!

It will probably still be possible to fit a basic Ubuntu install on a CD for some time yet, and have a more "complete" edition on DVD as required.

What's the bet that in a few years time, maybe 10-20 years or so, the discussion will be largely academic, with new technology (e.g. bluray) eventually replacing the common CD in the same way that CDs and DVDs have pretty much replaced the humble floppy? I think I've only ever seen one desktop PC that used an 8" floppy drive, and that was something like 20 years ago or more. (That's not counting some older "cluster controllers" for the terminals at the place I used to work at)
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro

People are thinking all wrong.

DVD won't kill off CD, and Bluray won't kill off either, eventually it'll all be USB drives that everything comes on. Especially since USB 3.0 is just around the corner with it's transfer rate of 5Gb/s

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

only in the windows world does newer software == more code. a lot of times, programmers "clean up" their code while "updating" it. i think thats what they've been focusing on with GIMP lately.

i don't think Ubuntu will ever be bigger than 700MB. if they really need to add features, they may have an optional "extras" disc or just suggest you use the internet to "complete" the install.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Angeles View Post
    only in the windows world does newer software == more code. a lot of times, programmers "clean up" their code while "updating" it. i think thats what they've been focusing on with GIMP lately.

i don't think Ubuntu will ever be bigger than 700MB. if they really need to add features, they may have an optional "extras" disc or just suggest you use the internet to "complete" the install.

I remember, one time updating Ubuntu. I had about 30 packages to update. it told me it had to download a few MB of archives.

768KB will be freed.

I was all "WTF, OMG I love Linux. "

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Angeles View Post
    Another thing to think about is that as we move to languages like C# and Python, the stuff we ship will be smaller. We can ship the runtimes, libraries and basic apps as executables and a lot of stuff on top of that will be bytcode and/or textual programs.

Beans

one thing ive noticed is as the distro grows inside the disc, open office live funcionality has been shrunk down...so i think there is where all the extra space has been coming from...but i might be wrong...

Beans

i think ubuntu could go to dvd tomorrow, the only argument against it is older computers, keeping xubuntu cd only could solve that, i think its about 400mb.

although there is the danger then of having to fill the dvd just because its there, i don't think a 5 gig ubuntu would be a good thing, on the other hand space seems to be getting quite tight, i seem to remember a thread about vim being got rid of in the jaunty release, (don't know im on hardy), maybe a self imposed 1gb limit would be a good thing?
    Check out my little app. Tnote

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast