Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use ubuntu instead of osx?

Beans

Anyone use ubuntu instead of osx?

Any full time [k]ubuntu users here, that is do any of you use strictly use ubuntu in lieu of OSX?

Have any of you tried using OSX under vmware server?

I'm kicking around the idea of running kbuntu full time and firing up OSX under vmware. I run a handful of apps that are probably not duplicated in linux. For example, I use Aperture, iweb, and rapidweaver. For the latter two I have existing web sites that I'd rather not recode, and in fact I chose those apps so I wouldn't have to code by hand.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Anyone use ubuntu instead of osx?

Quote Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
    Any full time [k]ubuntu users here, that is do any of you use strictly use ubuntu in lieu of OSX?
    I would assume most people here do. I do, at least.

Have any of you tried using OSX under vmware server?

I'm kicking around the idea of running kbuntu full time and firing up OSX under vmware.
    I have not tried that. Is it possible at all? It would certainly be a useful thing to have at times.

However, you should be aware that you need OS X (AFAIK) to get things like firmware updates for your computer. So you probably want a non-virtual installation of OS X around. You could install it on another hard drive, if I'm not mistaken though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have gotten to where I only boot up osx to play one silly game about twice a month. My son does the same. I don't even let it connect for upgrades.

Beans

Thanks, I'm on my way to using [k]ubuntu nearly all the time. I'm a heavy Aperture user and to be honest I don't think there's anything that replaces that. Also as noted I use iWeb and rapidweaver both of which I doubt there's comparable ubuntu apps.

I'll still have to have a small OSX partition but if I'm successful in running OSX within vmware, then the only reason for that is as mentioned firmware updates but those are few and far between.

Beans

Gee, I have a really hard time getting Photoshop to run under unix.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The EULA for OSX is very restrictive about using it within a VM. In fact, I think that only OS X Server allows it specifically. Most of the VMs out there only support the server edition for this reason.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    The EULA for OSX is very restrictive about using it within a VM. In fact, I think that only OS X Server allows it specifically. Most of the VMs out there only support the server edition for this reason.
    understood and I may move into that area, i.e., buy server off ebay but as a proof of concept I may see about installing it under vmware initially.

But on the other hand, since I own a mac, and legally own 10.5 and I'm only running one licensed version on my mac I may be in a little of the gray area, yeah, technically I'm running it in a VM but realistically I'm only running the same version of OSX that I have with my MBP

Beans

I only keep OS X around so that I have something stable for when I screw up my installs while distro-hopping. It came in very handy during my Gentoo install. Other than that, I only boot in to OS X every once in a while (mainly for watching movies on netflix).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

But on the other hand, since I own a mac, and legally own 10.5 and I'm only running one licensed version on my mac I may be in a little of the gray area, yeah, technically I'm running it in a VM but realistically I'm only running the same version of OSX that I have with my MBP
    I understand, but 1) you are licensed to have only one copy of that software on that machine, and 2) I was really just pointing out that most VMs will pretty much refuse to allow the install to continue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

ja I use ubuntu 9.04 on my g3 ibook exclusively.

works well.
    vijay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast