Thread: advice needed: Ubuntu on a Novatech X55 MV?

Beans

Question advice needed: Ubuntu on a Novatech X55 MV?

I need something as portable as possible with decent graphics capability -- the problem being, I have a VERY SMALL budget. So I was thinking of getting a Novatech X55 MV, which has an Nvidia 9650M GT graphics card, 4GB DDR2 800Mhz memory and Intel T6400 Core 2 Duo with 2MB cache, for a price I can just about almost afford (I said I have a very small budget!). I've dealt with Linux before as Red Hat and Mandrake on desktops, though I wasn't doing any serious tinkering, and this is the first time I've ever really looked at Ubuntu or tried to run a high(ish)-spec laptop on a linux distro.

So, advice? I know this is a long shot, but does anyone here have experience with installing Ubuntu on an X55 MV or X55 MV Pro? Words of advice on whether/how I would be able to get decent performance out of the Nvidia 9650M GT? The hardware ought to support 64-bit, but should I go 64 or 32?

I spoke to a Novatech person about whether or not that hardware was Ubuntu-capable, and her reply was "theoretically, but not really officially supported", so I'm thinking it would be best to find out as much as I can before I fork over cash for anything.

I also got the impression from a scan through earlier threads that if I decide to go for it, I might be better starting with Hardy rather than the latest release because of Nvidia driver issues. Thoughts? Experience?

Beans

Re: advice needed: Ubuntu on a Novatech X55 MV?

I am also considering buying this laptop, I haven't bought it (yet). However I have posted a message on the Novatech linux forums, Linux seems to run on it quite well according to the replies.

you can view the thread here: http://forum.novatech.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9089