Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Randr extension not present" not solvable with xinerama?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: "Randr extension not present" not solvable with xinerama?

Quote Originally Posted by jbraswell View Post
    Ugh. So, I did a complete re-install yesterday, according to these directions: [URL="http://hehe2.net/linuxhowto/howto-fresh-ubuntu-install-without-losing-your-current-settings/"].

Everything looked OK at first, so once I copied the contents of my old home directory into the new one, I restarted my machine. (fglrx drivers were not activated.)

However, since I restarted, I can no longer see anything on my screen...just one giant "artifact." I don't really have a clue what to do now. Any ideas?

Thanks
    The hidden files & folders (start with a dot) contain the configurations for all your installed applications.
    For most of the applications you reinstalled you're better off with the fresh settings that come with a new install.

If you decide to re-install again you might try only copying the non-hidden folders from your old home directory.
    If there is some application you really fine tuned that you don't want to re-configure, just copy the hidden folder or file for that application.

jdb

Beans

That doesn't seem like it could be the culprit with the current problem, though, right? This seems like it has to be some video card/driver issue, although I don't know how.

Man, I have to say that I'm pretty disappointed so far with Ubuntu and its ease-of-use claims. I realize (and welcome) that there's a DIY element to Linux, but since buying this machine, I haven't once had a single configuration where things worked right.

I'll try to post my xorg.conf later.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jbraswell View Post
    That doesn't seem like it could be the culprit with the current problem, though, right? This seems like it has to be some video card/driver issue, although I don't know how.

Man, I have to say that I'm pretty disappointed so far with Ubuntu and its ease-of-use claims. I realize (and welcome) that there's a DIY element to Linux, but since buying this machine, I haven't once had a single configuration where things worked right.

I'll try to post my xorg.conf later.
    Since this problem doesn't really match the thread title, I made a new one here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...43#post7352943

Beans

Sorry, I decided to kill that thread. I re-installed again, and decided not to copy over the home directory, *or* restore my old packages. I just wanted to start again from scratch.

Beans

Finally got things back up and running on the second re-install.

I want to activate fglrx, but I'm nervous. I don't care about 3D acceleration at all, but I do want the Xinerama effect where windows maximize in their own screen...is this possible with the free drivers?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I've not been able to accomplish it with free drivers.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

Hmm, that sucks.

Out of curiosity, is there a reason System76 doesn't use Nvidia cards? I only ask because the weight of opinions on these forums seems to be that they're a "happier" choice? However, I don't want to go out and buy one if my impression is incorrect.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

nVidia cards are great, and we've used them in the past. We've received a lot of requests for them, though, and I'm sure we'll sell them again in the future.

Dollar for dollar, though, our testing indicates ATI cards provide higher performance than nVidia cards. Also, ATI catalyst is far superior to nvidia-settings.

For what it's worth, that's why we made the switch.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

Gotcha.

I'll give fglrx another try then. You guys don't happen to have a dual monitor, wild dog xorg.conf available, do you?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I could make one, but it would not match your monitors. But I suppose you could use it as a template.

ATI Catylist will make one for you when you configure your dual monitors. There's no manual tweaking of the config file involved.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12