Thread: Virtual Machine with a Converted Vista from my Toshiba Restore DVD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Question Virtual Machine with a Converted Vista from my Toshiba Restore DVD

Cough... long title.

Well since i bought a new laptop im pondering my options about how much windows do i need in my life, and so far, a VM will do. I do have some theoretical questions.

My laptop is a Qosmio x305-q705 and out of the media buttons, just play, stop, forward and backwards work correctly. Besides that, my alsa drivers (even with manual update) don't really recognice my 5.1 sound speakers and no bluetooth either.

The point of the long prelude is to know if by restoring my laptop to vista with the restore dvds, then make a copy of my fisical partition with vmware converter, then installing ubuntu with virtualbox and use the converted partition as my virtual machine would i be able to use (inside the VM of course) all the media buttons, since they seem to be software dependant, and the bluetooth/5.1 speakers?.

For what i have read my guess is that the speakers/bluetooth wouldn't work since the host doesn't know how to deal with them and i have no idea about the media buttons.

I guess the whole point would be to know if its worth to make a virtual machine out of my vista with all the laptop specific software and controlers or (since apparently i can use my laptop's vista license to activate a pirated version thus making it legal) just make a clean install of vista (probably XP if the license trick doesn't work :<)?

Thanks for your time before hand and i apologise if my redaction skills seem a little off... i can't tell for sure
    - In a world without walls and fences... who needs Windows and Gates? -
    - In the box it said "Require Windows VISTA or better... so I installed Linux -
    - Software is like sex... it's better when it's free -

Beans

Re: Virtual Machine with a Converted Vista from my Toshiba Restore DVD

The vm present simulated hardware to the host. Direct access is very limited. However you can put ubuntu inside the VM, that would work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Virtual Machine with a Converted Vista from my Toshiba Restore DVD

Quote Originally Posted by pixel :-) View Post
    The vm present simulated hardware to the host. Direct access is very limited. However you can put ubuntu inside the VM, that would work
    Well that wold defeat the purpose of having linux as my main OS. I just want windows vista/xp in a virtual machine for random stuff. I was just thinking if by using the vmware converter to use my laptop default vista instalation, would somehow make more stuff work ¨inside¨ the virtual machine. All this mess is about two things... keep my vista license legal (since the license i got is OEM), and make the media button that turns on/off my laptop leds work under linux (even if i have to turn on my VM to do it).

I really dont need windows that much. But if i completely remove it i wont be able (under linux) to turn on and off my laptop leds, they seem to require some driver or software inside my vista bundle to be able to work.

Thanks for your answer though.
    - In a world without walls and fences... who needs Windows and Gates? -
    - In the box it said "Require Windows VISTA or better... so I installed Linux -
    - Software is like sex... it's better when it's free -