Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: USAA Bank website doesn't like linux

Beans

Red face USAA Bank website doesn't like linux

I've been using ubuntu 9.04 for a month, and i'm loving it. I got security, amsn, and the quickness of linux. The only problem that holds me back from switching to ubuntu fully is my bank. My Bank uses java runtime environment to detect the scanner, scan the check and transfer it directly to them, so I deposit my checks in my account through internet explorer in windows xp. Well the first time i try it in firefox 3.0.1, it rejected the browser because of its version and because i was using linux. The website states that it only supports Firefox 2.0 for mac and pc, internet explorer 6 and 7. I know, I tried to use the User agent switcher with the internet explorer 7 in vista setting, and it worked to a certain point. It went through the browser and OS check, the java applet started inside the browser, but it didn't dectect the scanner, and some buttons or tools that say scan, rotate or rescan didn't appear. My scanner works just fine. Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool Re: USAA Bank website doesn't like linux

I use USAA and I don't have any issues.

I use Flash 10 from Adobe and Iced Tea for Java.

Works great for me.
    If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.

Beans

Question Re: USAA Bank website doesn't like linux

Quote Originally Posted by steveneddy View Post

Works great for me.
    do you still have to use the agent switcher? and how do you get those plugins? Does iced tea replaces java completely?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: USAA Bank website doesn't like linux

Quote Originally Posted by steveneddy View Post

Works great for me.
    Your saying you can get deposit at home working using linux? I doubt that. I even tried using ie in wine to trick it and it didn't work. I complained to USAA and the lady actually tried to fix my issue. I had to laugh and tell her she couldn't fix it, just register my complaint. She also had no idea what linux was.

EDIT: I use VirtualBox. In fact, the only reason I have virtual box is for MS Money, Deposit at Home, and my Garmin Forerunner.
    Last edited by lvleph; May 12th, 2009 at 06:06 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

My scanner works just fine.
    do I read that as "my scanner ain't broken" or "my scanner works on ubuntu, but not with my banking software"?
    True warriors don't follow paths - they make them.
    It's not their desire, it's their nature.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wow. I'm impressed (and a little concerned) that any bank allows you to deposit an electronic copy of a cheque.

Sorry, can't help with the technical issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

There is no difference between a paper copy, electronic copy, and a debit card. They use the account numbers anyway.

EDIT: They do this, because there is only one branch in the world.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolfJack View Post
    do I read that as "my scanner ain't broken" or "my scanner works on ubuntu, but not with my banking software"?
    well, like I said, my scanner works just fine in ubuntu, but when the page loads, like in internet explorer, the java applet is supposed to detect the scanners on your computer to scan the check, it gives you one or a list of scanners if you have more than one. I don't know if it's the firefox browser, the linux version of java, or maybe to do with my scanner. In, windows I didn't have to do anything with my scanner, as long it was detected by the OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It is the linux version of java as far as I understand.

Beans

It looks like steven know the answer, I guess I have to wait for his new reply.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast