Thread: Install Jaunty on HP Pavilion Laptop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Install Jaunty on HP Pavilion Laptop

Hi,

I am using an HP Pavilion dv2872 Laptop, with Vista and Jaunty (installed inside Vista with Wubi).

I would like to install Ubuntu with a separate partition (using Ext4) but I am not very sure how to do it. As you know, this Laptops come with a Vista partition and a Recovery partition.

Could someone explain me how to install Jaunty without messing the other partitions, or either give me a link to some page which explains it?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Install Jaunty on HP Pavilion Laptop

There is a dual boot manual out there: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot which might be helpful.

Personally I would do the following:
    • Use a windows tool (if possible) to shrink your main partition and free up some room at the end of the disk (not at the beginning!).
    • Boot from an Ubuntu disk and install on the empty space.
    • Let Grub install in the MBR.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..."' - Isaac Asimov

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Install Jaunty on HP Pavilion Laptop

Thanks!, the guide was very helpful, at the end, I was able to use the Vista partition manager (as described in the guide) to shrink its partition and create an empty unalocated space, where I after installed Jaunty without any problems and following the normal procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by Triptol View Post
    There is a dual boot manual out there: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot which might be helpful.

Personally I would do the following:
    • Use a windows tool (if possible) to shrink your main partition and free up some room at the end of the disk (not at the beginning!).
    • Boot from an Ubuntu disk and install on the empty space.
    • Let Grub install in the MBR.