Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132

Thread: HowTo Achieve "Ubuntu-Desktop-Minimal"

Beans

Re: HowTo Achieve "Ubuntu-Desktop-Minimal"

This is going to come in handy for my new project. It abit of a mash of ubuntu and chrome OS. If anyone has opinions on such a distro please feel free to pm me. Its basically ubuntu but works along the same lines as chrome OS or more accurately a chromebook. The idea of having a lightweight distro that boots in under a minute, but has more than a little web browser for the user interface. Lets you save files and create documents like an OS should. Making full use of ubuntu one to backup to cloud lightening your HDD and there for quickening any start up process that slows you down.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Great tutorial!

I built my last system in a similar manner.
    I got the maverick 10.10 minimal .iso and just installed the stuff that I wanted and or needed from the terminal, and I installed the Gnome-desktop, that was Gnome2.xx

I wish support had not ended for it, it really ran great and bug free on the hardware compared to a normal full install. and as you said not as resource intensive as the full install was.
    ( I installed the normal full version on a different partition to see the difference) .

Beans

Does anyone have any recommendations for a basic media player. It must have internet access with flash, a media player (VLC or Mplayer) a jpeg viewer/slideshow, remote control from android tablet. Based on latest version of ubuntu 12.10. (Preferably without unity desktop)
    Has anyone done this and what setup did you use?
    Last edited by Froggus; January 24th, 2013 at 06:21 PM.

Beans

Sorry I can't help you that, these days I use debian sid, or #! Wheezy. There quite a few #! crunchbang music guys if you care to visit, they a friendly and will be able to help you.

Ozi
    Ubuntu User number is # 33337, Linux Registered User #531864, Boot info script, Wireless info script

Beans

thanks ill check out crunchbag

Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132