Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo Achieve "Ubuntu-Desktop-Minimal"

Beans
    Hidden!

Lightbulb HowTo Achieve "Ubuntu-Desktop-Minimal"

I've noticed on brainstorm.ubuntu.com that there are a few people who would like to have an ubuntu-desktop-minimal edition instead of the default ubuntu-desktop which bundles software that not all of us use.

I'm one of those users who likes to build his system from the ground up, so I wrote this simple post-install script which will give you a complete minimal desktop.

After running this script your system will look the same as a fresh install of ubuntu just without all the added software.

The first step to accomplish this is install a base system either using the Ubuntu Minimal CD (I use this along with my personal repository to create quick installs) or you can use the Ubuntu Server edition.

Once the base installation completes, login and run the following script, then reboot.

Note: This script is for users who use the gnome environment.

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    #######################################################################
    # Ubuntu-Desktop-Minimal: Post-install script to install only the bare
    #			  essentials of an Ubuntu Desktop.
    #######################################################################
    echo "[*] Installing Gnome Essentials"
    sudo apt-get -y install gnome-core gdm network-manager-gnome fast-user-switch-applet \
    human-theme x11-xserver-utils tangerine-icon-theme gnome-themes-ubuntu ubuntu-artwork \
    jockey-gtk gnome-screensaver gnome-utils
    echo "[*] Installing Application Essentials"
    sudo apt-get install -y gcalctool tsclient
    The actual script I use also includes:
    epiphany-browser : Lighter equivalent to firefox.
    vlc;vlc-plugin-* : For media etc.
    openoffice.org-writer : Office Writer
    openoffice.org-calc : Office Spreadsheet
    openoffice.org-impress : Office Presentation

After using this script I've lowered the memory usage from around 250-350mb to about 80-90mb. All of the themes are there, the network-manager, gedit, restricted hardware tool, etc.

I use this setup for Old & New Desktops/Laptops. I purchased a Netbook recently (ASUS eeePC 1000HD) and found this script makes it run very well.

Of course this is just a starting template, you will want to modify it to add the packages you use.

-TheShiv
    Last edited by TheShiv; May 14th, 2009 at 12:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: HowTo Achieve "Ubuntu-Desktop-Minimal"

Approved and thank you for your tutorials & tips contribution!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

No offence, but how is this useful at all? I mean all you are providing is a list of apps to install. Its an interesting concept, but perhaps it may be useful to come up with a list of programs that can be removed, startup applications that can be stopped, applications that load during boot that you don't need (e.g. bluetooth).

Something simple like:

sudo apt-get remove ekiga etc etc. Might be useful.

Again just trying to understand how this could be effectively used.
    Last edited by abhiroopb; May 13th, 2009 at 03:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by abhiroopb View Post
    No offence, but how is this useful at all? I mean all you are providing is a list of apps to install. Its an interesting concept, but perhaps it may be useful to come up with a list of programs that can be removed, startup applications that can be stopped, applications that load during boot that you don't need (e.g. bluetooth).

Something simple like:

I fully agree with abhiroopb

Beans

Something simple like:

Well, if you read his entire post, he said you should start with a "minimal" or "server" install, in which case there isn't anything to remove. This is a lot more efficient than doing the default install and then removing a bunch of stuff, not to mention there are usually user conig files and other cruft left behind after you remove everything.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by tomstrummer View Post
    Well, if you read his entire post, he said you should start with a "minimal" or "server" install, in which case there isn't anything to remove. This is a lot more efficient than doing the default install and then removing a bunch of stuff, not to mention there are usually user conig files and other cruft left behind after you remove everything.
    That is true, but still this seems just like an install command that installs a few packages. Perhaps a more complete list with all possible packages which people can choose to install, etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

That is true, but still this seems just like an install command that installs a few packages. Perhaps a more complete list with all possible packages which people can choose to install, etc.
    It's an install command that installs a few packages from a minimal install.

If you're not interested in starting from a minimal install, this isn't for you. Stop bashing it and go complain elsewhere.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by mdmadph View Post
    It's an install command that installs a few packages from a minimal install.

If you're not interested in starting from a minimal install, this isn't for you. Stop bashing it and go complain elsewhere.
    This is why people get put of by linux threads. I phrased my comments quite clearly. I did not intend to bash the author or his howto. I merely wanted to comment on how this could be improved, and where exactly this would be useful.

Even starting from a minimal install, this is still a simple apt-get install nothing more. Perhaps it may be more useful (like I have already suggested) to include which startup applications and bootup applications can be stopped.

Beans

Now using this script, thank you very much! (would have to a agree a list of apps to remove would help alot of people)

Beans

What affect did this have on battery life?

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast