Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo Achieve "Ubuntu-Desktop-Minimal"

Beans

Re: HowTo Achieve "Ubuntu-Desktop-Minimal"

How does the final footprint of this method compare to that of the Netbook Remix version of Ubuntu? I have UNR on my Mini 9 but feel that there is a bunch of bloat that I cannot excise thoroughly.

Beans

So I followed your guide, but I can't start X. It gives me black screen.

Any help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I've included the link to the Ubuntu minimal CD to help users out:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD

As a suggested improvement you could cut down on resources by installing fluxbox:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fluxbox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

first off, good idea with the minimal install. I have been doing something similar to this for some time now - I love the idea of picking and choosing what you want on there. In reply to those guys who's handles i don't even remember now, who were bashing it - If you dont know how to read through the repository list of ready to download and install or remove then maybe you should do that first, and do not rely upon people to give you EVERYTHING... figure it out man, and why not add it to the forum instead of complaining about it, most people who complain just want to cry a little and not offer any real solutions, if you don't have a solution then you cant justifiabley call it a promblem, as his is a solution better then yours

peace, Im mobile

Beans
    Distro

i <3 this and will use this often! I'm a little ashamed i didn't think of doing this myself. I deploy ubuntu for my FOSS POS cash registers and lately i've been using debian because ubuntu has been bordering on bloatware. Now i can stick with ubuntu AND cut the memory footprint. Anything to improve performance.....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Very useful. I've been looking for something like this for a low-memory netbook that's lying around, currently with a stripped down version of Debian on it.

Unlike abhiroopb, I don't really know what the absolute minimum essential packages are, so going the uninstall route, I don't know where to stop. I found this out the hard way when I tried it and wound up having to reinstall my whole system because I dumped something critical!

And I didn't even know Minimal CD existed.

So thanks for the post! I'll be using it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by abhiroopb View Post
    No offence, but how is this useful at all? I mean all you are providing is a list of apps to install. Its an interesting concept, but perhaps it may be useful to come up with a list of programs that can be removed, startup applications that can be stopped, applications that load during boot that you don't need (e.g. bluetooth).

Something simple like:

sudo apt-get remove ekiga etc etc. Might be useful.

Again just trying to understand how this could be effectively used.
    I've tried doing stuff like sudo apt-get remove ekiga..You can do it , but in the end you are just left with a bunch of *unfixable* broken dependencies..

Oh and i think the script's pretty neat...Ive been looking for something like this for quite some time now!!
    Thanks TheShiv.
    The truth is always beautiful, no matter how ugly it might seem at first.

Beans
    Distro

Another case of: "I am looking for a hammer. Therefore everything I see must be a hammer, or it's useless." ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kiepmad View Post
    What this does it pretty easy to explain.

After installing a server or minimal installation, you're computer has basically only the things that it really needs to run.

When you install the packages included in the script, you get an useable computer system, you just need to add the different applications that you need. (eg office, browser, image processor, pdf reader, multimedia player, etc.)

This is a more actually a more logical way to install an Operating System, because there will be less clutter However, this method generally needs more computer knowledge, because in most cases you cannot simply do what you want, you need to install the packages first. (though I think the average Ubuntu user is able to make use of this)

This is in contrast to a base install, where packages that user might need are already installed to make the OS easier to use.

If you want to take this process to the next step, you might want to have a look at archlinux, though I reckon, that Arch is a lot more difficult too grasp, because you need to edit your config files to after installation.

Hope that clarifies the pourpose of this script.
    +1.And if you want to take it to even higher than the level that Arch Linux sets , then you are a geek xD And you need Linux From Scratch and/or Gentoo..Portage ftw

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by spambait9876 View Post
    Another case of: "I am looking for a hammer. Therefore everything I see must be a hammer, or it's useless." ?
    Well its more of a I need a hammer , I'm a carpenter..So i probably dont need the Alienware Laptop right now..Even if i do , i can buy it whenever i want..

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast