Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How expensive is internet in your country?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

How expensive is internet in your country?

I know that internet connection prices wary in different countries,

So, how much does internet connection cost in YOUR country?

In Finland the cheapest connection is

384kbit 3G connection 10e/month

and for a faster connection:
    24/1M ADSL2 and 1M 3G dongle with combined price 39e/month

And yes. There really are 2 separate internet connections in the faster example. (It is cheaper to take the 2 connections than just the 24/1M connection..)

Beans

Re: How expensive is internet in your country?

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    I know that internet connection prices wary in different countries,

So, how much does internet connection cost in YOUR country?

In Finland the cheapest connection is

384kbit 3G connection 10e/month

and for a faster connection:
    24/1M ADSL2 and 1M 3G dongle with combined price 39e/month

And yes. There really are 2 separate internet connections in the faster example. (It is cheaper to take the 2 connections than just the 24/1M connection..)

My Dear Friend,

In my country INDIA the cost of Broadband for a home plan is 125 INR/Month. The speed is around 256 Kbps/upto 2 Mbps (this is an ADSL connection). It is cheapest internet service provider in the our country. There are other private service providers who are offering Internet service in the country. But Government owned service provider is the cheapest one.

Thanx in advance.
    Last edited by james347; May 11th, 2009 at 12:32 PM. Reason: forget something

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Here in the UK cheapest is probably some crappy ADSL connection at 512K (can you even get that now? I think 1M is the lowest most ISPs provide now) and that costs anything from £4.99 a month to £15 a month.

Fastest, 50 M with Virgin Media is £50 on it's own. I've got 20 M for £37 a month and it's great!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've lived in three different places with highly varying internet costs:

Presidio of Monterey, California
    $37 (€27) per month for DSL (Sprint Military Services - around 800 kbps)
    Goodfellow AFB, Texas
    $37 (€27) per month for cable (Suddenlink Communcations - 8 Mbps)
    Elmendorf AFB, Alaska (current location)
    $57 (€41) per month for WiMAX (AT&T Alascom - 2 Mbps)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm paying NZ$99 for a package that combines 10GB ADSL2+ (20000kbps, near the exchange) and telephone line with free national calling. It's a fairly good plan and economical for my situation but not the cheapest, which might be something like NZ$80 for a similar plan.

Comparatively, my ISPs naked DSL plan (no home line) is $75 for 15GB so you can see the calling deal is quite good considering our old monopolistic Telecom (Affectionately Telescum) charged over $40 per month for a phone line... Things are improving but it's still not good enough.

I explained that badly and ADSL1 is cheapers, check out this http://www.orcon.net.nz/home/plans/ if you are actually interested in my ISP's plans and prices

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If you buy from the big ISP in Australia (Telstra) you pay a bucket load. Something like AUD$80 a month for 1500Kbs down 256 up with only 12GB of bandwidth. (24 month contract)

I am currently with TPG and I get 50GB a month 1500/256 for only AUD$59.95 (6 month contract). I also get $300 worth of credit on my mobile for AUD$19.95 a month, no contract.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

South Africa:

About $7 per gigabyte....and thats excluding month rental of telephone line and the DSLAM...which would be about $30 (guesstimate).

Data/Byte caps are commonly 1gig - 10gig (monthly), although *fake* uncapped is also available (Which is good for maybe 100gig/month, ~$180 total).

Main cause of those ludicrous prices/speeds is government interference & incompetence. Thankfully they have started to let private businesses in a bit more so thing are improving.

EDIT: In other news, I'm currently trying to figure out how to prevent rythmbox from eating my bytes with cover art downloads.
    EDIT2: Thanks to local mirrors ubuntu repos can run over byte caps that are cheaper but restricted. ~$1 per gig.
    Last edited by HavocXphere; May 11th, 2009 at 01:21 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

yea the cheapest cable broadband you can get in the uk now is £5 a month i think if you buy a phone package and thats 10Mbps unlimited. that very cheap.

Beans

Romania,12euros/month cable+net,D:1mbps/U:256kbps,real D:120kbps/U:12kbps - capped on absolutely everything,not even Deluge can trick it.(it could in the old days)

Of course,this is the cheapest offer on the market,I hope.

Beans

Well I don't know how much the cheapest is...
    Back in the day you had free internet if you proved to be a part of learning institution (eg.:student, teacher, scientist,...). I think this still exists, but the speed is really slow.

Now I use a 30€ package which includes 10/10 mbps FTTH connection, VoIP for three phones and IPTV with 3 STBs.
    In comparison to others this seems like dream deal

Just for fun the most expensive package is for 1 gbps connection which is 1000€.
    But it's 1 gbps!

Edit: I've just checked and you can still get internet for free it's ISDN or cable and you only have to provide proof that you're either a student or employee in government or educational institution.
    (compared to others this sounds like heaven /yes I'm trolling a bit )
    Last edited by Name change; May 11th, 2009 at 02:08 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast