Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any one has a review on the Meerkat Ion NetTop

Beans

any one has a review on the Meerkat Ion NetTop

for any one that has one l was thinking about a Mac mini but I think this is better option

Beans

Re: any one has a review on the Meerkat Ion NetTop

I would also like to see a review on this. I'm considering buying a couple to use as MYTHTV frontends.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Not aware of any reviews, per se. But this is down your alley...
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ht=meerkat+ion
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you are interested, I recently convinced a friend/coworker to get a new computer and she went with the Meerkat (non-Ion). I am going to set her up with it later this week, I can post how normal tasks run on it, although I don't know how much it would help you.

I can tell you it is nice and sleek looking.

Beans

that would be cool Flyers2391 l like to know the resolution and if it plays nice with avi files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by eddietours View Post
    that would be cool Flyers2391 l like to know the resolution and if it plays nice with avi files
    Alright, well, I set it up but unfortunately I cannot give you as complete of a review as I would like to (I was only on it an hour or so and it's not mine so that's my excuse ), and I'm sure not as much information as you would want. However, I'm looking at the lemur and like to read anything people have to say about.

2 GB RAM and 160 GB hard drive were the only upgrades

As I mentioned, it looks nice and I like the metal body instead of plastic like most other desktops. This Meerkat is not the Ion so I can't be sure how that would run but I hooked it up to a new 22" monitor and it defaulted to the highest resolution listed at 1680 x 1024.
    I had some network card issues and while I was trying to figure out the problem (solved by the way) I saw that the atom in there shows as 4 processors (2 cores, each HT I imagine). The entire time using it I had no response problems.
    Desktop effects were set at normal and all ran with no noticeable slow-downs (desktop slide, ring switcher, minimize effects).
    Unfortunately I didn't have time to play with it some more but I would definitely purchase it for myself, if I needed something like it.

I hope some of that was at least useful to someone

Beans

ok cool that works for me l have a sony tv will be the main display by HDMI hopefully it will a easy setup

Beans

Hey Eddie, if you do go with that setup please do post a review! That is exactly the setup I hope to get soon.... Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I have a PanP4 (love it!) and need to replace our desktop. What is the difference between the Meerkat NetTop and Meerkat Ion NetTop? It will be used mostly for running an application in WINE - Finale PrintMusic. Other uses include GoogleEarth, and the usual email and net surfing/videos, no gaming.

Also, any thoughts on 32 vs 64-bit?

If we choose the 64-bit, should we get more than 2 gigs of memory (RAM)?

(Off topic - in that regard, does anyone know if MuseScore is more stable in 32-bit than 64?)

KUDOS to System76!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Code:
    What is the difference between the Meerkat NetTop and Meerkat Ion NetTop?
    The primary difference is that the Ion has nVidia graphics, which gives it better graphics performance, particularly if someone wants to use it as a media center.

It will be used mostly for running an application in WINE - Finale PrintMusic. Other uses include GoogleEarth, and the usual email and net surfing/videos, no gaming.
    The wine application shouldn't be a problem.

Anyone out there running GoogleEarth on a standard Meerkat? How about an Ion? If memory servers, it's significantly better on the Ion.

Also, any thoughts on 32 vs 64-bit?
    64-bit may be a little faster. Flash works a tad better on 32-bit.

If we choose the 64-bit, should we get more than 2 gigs of memory (RAM)?
    Never hurts to have more RAM, especially if you're going to have multiple windows open at once or do anything graphically intensive.

(Off topic - in that regard, does anyone know if MuseScore is more stable in 32-bit than 64?)
    I don't know about that one. Maybe someone in the community is using it.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast