Thread: Recommendations on a serial terminal, please!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Lightbulb Recommendations on a serial terminal, please!

I am currently preparing for a partial reconfiguration of my Everex mid-tower (Elitegroup GeForce6100SM-M with Advanced Micro Devices Athlon X2 5600+). The new motherboard already has an immediately-accessible EIA-232D port, /dev/ttyS0, which I'd like to use for monitoring the kernel from without GNOME and GDM (which, along with an X.org server, use the planar nVIDIA GeForce6100 GPU). Physical depth (for an 80x25-character unit), cost and power consumption are factors; a plug-in keyboard is a plus, as I don't expect to use the terminal as my primary input device.

Beans

Re: Recommendations on a serial terminal, please!

Instead of a serial terminal, have you thought about an Ethernet serial port server? They go for around $300, and would let you telnet into your serial port from anywhere, rather than having a dedicated console.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by andrewc6l View Post
    Instead of a serial terminal, have you thought about an Ethernet serial port server? They go for around $300, and would let you telnet into your serial port from anywhere, rather than having a dedicated console.
    The task here is basic kernel monitoring rather than a multiple-Console interface for a ready server; setting up an Ethernet serial port server would not be ideal for kernel monitoring, as the kernel data would be unavailable during the boot process. The monitoring that I have to do starts before an X server would be called up under normal circumstances.

Planar serial-port controls for the National Semiconductor NS16x50J/N have been integrated into the Kernel for some time, while Ethernet adapters are normally linked into the Kernel as Modules.

Beans

The Ethernet serial port servers I'm talking about are actual physical hardware, not processes running on the kernel machine. They have a DB-9 connector on one side and an RJ-45 on the other. You can telnet to them, and they relay what comes in on the DB-9 to the RJ-45 and vice versa. You would be able to pick up even BIOS serial port messages from them, let alone kernel boot messages.