Thread: Compatibility: Firefox 3.0.10 and Finjan 1.314

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Compatibility: Firefox 3.0.10 and Finjan 1.314

Hi,

I think that the Finjan Secure Browsing add-on would provide a useful extra security layer for me.

It installs with an apparently active icon and I believe it should work but I cannot get it to flag any sites (green or red and regardless of options) in either Xubuntu 8.10 or Ubuntu 8.10.

It seems appropriate to ask here despite I am only at novice plus level.

My regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Compatibility: Firefox 3.0.10 and Finjan 1.314

I personally don't like extensions that monitors my web activity, even if their intentions are good. Besides Firefox is already integrated with a similar solution provided by Google. I don't know if it is effective tho.

I would recommend installing NoScript addon instead. Never had any problems with it. I think its a better security tool, because it blocks malicious content, regardless if the site is on a database of malicious web sites or not. So if you visit a malicious web site that is not listed in the database yet, you are still protected by NoScript. You can whitelist only trusted web sites, so it doesn't block their content. Additionally, you could also install AdBlock Plus, to block ads and other stuff.

Beans
    Distro

Hi lovinglinux,

I do use NoScript but Finjan does not use a database like Web of Trust (WoT). I had read some criticism of WoT but none of Finjan.

I would like to get Finjan to work and I would like to know if the fact that I cannot is general or is specific to my circumstances.

My regards

On 1st February this year I tried Ubuntu. It took me 10 days to love it. So we do agree on the big issue.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Jasper View Post
    Hi lovinglinux,

I do use NoScript but Finjan does not use a database like Web of Trust (WoT). I had read some criticism of WoT but none of Finjan.

I would like to get Finjan to work and I would like to know if the fact that I cannot is general or is specific to my circumstances.

My regards

On 1st February this year I tried Ubuntu. It took me 10 days to love it. So we do agree on the big issue.
    Ho does it work then? It analyzes the content of the page and look for potential malicious code?

Beans
    Distro

Hi lovinglinux,

Yes, that is how I read that it works.

Incidentally, your above link Firefox media center extension gets a terrible report from WoT. So, rightly or wrongly, I didn't open it.

My regards

Beans
    Distro

Hi lovinglinux,

Yes, that is how I read that it works.
    That's cool.

Incidentally, your above link Firefox media center extension gets a terrible report from WoT. So, rightly or wrongly, I didn't open it.

My regards
    FoxMediaCenter extension and web site are developed by me. So I assure you there is nothing malicious there. I think the problem is that the server is a free hosting service, so it is probably listed due to other web sites on the domain. If you are interested, you can check it out on Mozilla Addons web site, which is surely safe.

Beans
    Distro

Hi lovinglinux,

I had no idea that your expertise is so great, so I'm pleased that I said I'd seen some criticism of WoT and that I added "rightly or wrongly".

If you have a few minutes to spare, and could try the, "Finjan Secure Browsing" add-on I would be most pleased to know if you can get it to work, and if you can, what you think of it.

My regards

PS The additional publicity may, hopefully, increase your downloads.

Beans
    Distro

Hi lovinglinux,

I had no idea that your expertise is so great, so I'm pleased that I said I'd seen some criticism of WoT and that I added "rightly or wrongly".

If you have a few minutes to spare, and could try the, "Finjan Secure Browsing" add-on I would be most pleased to know if you can get it to work, and if you can, what you think of it.

My regards

PS The additional publicity may, hopefully, increase your downloads.
    Thanks, but I'm definitely not an expert

I tried and it works here. I tired to search for some sites using Google and it puts an icon in front of the search results. My web sites is listed as safe

It gives a lot of green. I tried searching for "warez", "pr0n", "download", "torrent", "******", "make money" and other suspicious keywords, but just a very few results were marked as dangerous. So I searched for a virus database site, where you can download tons of virus, and all results were also green. I wouldn't trust it.

Beans
    Distro

Hi lovinglinux,

Thank you for your help. It is, to me, a surprising result but after your tests I'll give it a miss.

I use some programs via Wine which is why I'm particularly keen to maximise security.

My regards

Expertise is often relative and many experts are modest people.
    Either way, I'm just above novice level; my computer arrived on
    30th June 1998 and I've settled happily on Xubuntu.