View Poll Results: Should Ubuntu 9.10 have Empathy instead of Pidgin as the default Instant Messenger?

Voters
538. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    217 40.33%
  • No

    321 59.67%
Page 9 of 83 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 827

Thread: Is empathy ready to replace pidgin

  1. #81
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    /earth/europe
    Beans
    1,450
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Is empathy ready to replace pidgin

    Quote Originally Posted by Gourgi View Post
    this is pure awesomeness!!!
    WARNING: "sudo rm -rf /" = BAD Read this for more information.
    Q6600-Abit IP35-2 GB RAM-250GTS 1GB

    *Docky FTW!*

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    AZ
    Beans
    2,063
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Is empathy ready to replace pidgin

    after reading this thread i decided to give empathy a try. i installed it in karmic alpha 2 easy from the Synaptic Package Manager. The first time I launched it, empathy auto detected and imported all of my contacts from pidgin, and i was up and running quickly and easily.

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Valencia, Spain
    Beans
    622
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

    Re: Is empathy ready to replace pidgin

    Am I the one missing contacts in Empathy? I mean, all my contacts set to "do not disturb" appear as disconnected here, and I'm at an IRC channel where no one appears in the list, even though there ARE people there.

  4. #84
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Newton, Massachusetts
    Beans
    278
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Is empathy ready to replace pidgin

    Empathy is GREAT for most users, especially new ones, and it can replace poth pidgin AND ekiga. It lacks features only more hardcore users (yes, i just referred to some IM users as hardcore) like meta contacts, which is on the way as well. It is simple and integrates well, and we want to make Ubuntu friendly for NEW users. Old users who prefer the clutter and feature madness of pidgin will simply install it from Add/Remove. If Ubuntu switched to Empathy, it's development is going to get a huuuggggeee boost so the feature gap will close and eventaully reverse.

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Roskilde, Denmark
    Beans
    353

    Re: Is empathy ready to replace pidgin

    Quote Originally Posted by DPic View Post
    Empathy is GREAT for most users, especially new ones, and it can replace poth pidgin AND ekiga. It lacks features only more hardcore users (yes, i just referred to some IM users as hardcore) like meta contacts, which is on the way as well. It is simple and integrates well, and we want to make Ubuntu friendly for NEW users. Old users who prefer the clutter and feature madness of pidgin will simply install it from Add/Remove. If Ubuntu switched to Empathy, it's development is going to get a huuuggggeee boost so the feature gap will close and eventaully reverse.
    Very true!

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Beans
    458

    Re: Is empathy ready to replace pidgin

    Quote Originally Posted by Bou View Post
    Am I the one missing contacts in Empathy? I mean, all my contacts set to "do not disturb" appear as disconnected here, and I'm at an IRC channel where no one appears in the list, even though there ARE people there.
    Yeah I seem to be getting this bug, if I look on pidgin then I see a few people are online, I switch to empathy and it shows no online users.

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Beans
    176
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Is empathy ready to replace pidgin

    i've been playing with it for a while, and it has an extremely annoying behavior -- when a message is received from a person without an open conversation open, the alert comes up in the notification area, and does not spawn a new window -- this is unlike any other IM application I have ever used.

    I filed a bug report, and didn't get a friendly response, sadly.

    http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=585914

    so for me, empathy is NOT ready to replace pidgin, as it presents a usability regression for me.

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Hockeytown, MI
    Beans
    561
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Is empathy ready to replace pidgin

    When I get a new message I get a message-indicator thing, does that not happen for you?

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Beans
    176
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Is empathy ready to replace pidgin

    Quote Originally Posted by whiprush View Post
    When I get a new message I get a message-indicator thing, does that not happen for you?
    it does, it's just very annoying -- why do i need to click on the icon when in pidgin (or other IM apps), I can simply switch to the new conversation tab? Having to move my hand from the keyboard is extremely annoying in this case.

    also, most of the time, I don't even notice, since I don't look at the notification area often -- this means that friends can leave messages, and leave before I have the chance to respond, simply because I never noticed that i received an IM, even though I was actively using the application.

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: Is empathy ready to replace pidgin

    Once it has Meta-Contacts, I'm dumping Pidgin. Until then, I have to stick with Pidgin because having 6 "John Doe"'s is kinda annoying >.>
    Bios Elemental - My Blog | Useful Ubuntu and WINE related help as well as general Geek Things.

Page 9 of 83 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •