View Poll Results: Should Ubuntu 9.10 have Empathy instead of Pidgin as the default Instant Messenger?

Voters
538. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

217 40.33%
  • No

321 59.67%
Page 9 of 83 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: Is empathy ready to replace pidgin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Is empathy ready to replace pidgin

Quote Originally Posted by Gourgi View Post
    this is pure awesomeness!!!
    WARNING: "sudo rm -rf /" = BAD Read this for more information.
    Q6600-Abit IP35-2 GB RAM-250GTS 1GB

*Docky FTW!*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

after reading this thread i decided to give empathy a try. i installed it in karmic alpha 2 easy from the Synaptic Package Manager. The first time I launched it, empathy auto detected and imported all of my contacts from pidgin, and i was up and running quickly and easily.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Am I the one missing contacts in Empathy? I mean, all my contacts set to "do not disturb" appear as disconnected here, and I'm at an IRC channel where no one appears in the list, even though there ARE people there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Empathy is GREAT for most users, especially new ones, and it can replace poth pidgin AND ekiga. It lacks features only more hardcore users (yes, i just referred to some IM users as hardcore) like meta contacts, which is on the way as well. It is simple and integrates well, and we want to make Ubuntu friendly for NEW users. Old users who prefer the clutter and feature madness of pidgin will simply install it from Add/Remove. If Ubuntu switched to Empathy, it's development is going to get a huuuggggeee boost so the feature gap will close and eventaully reverse.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DPic View Post
    Empathy is GREAT for most users, especially new ones, and it can replace poth pidgin AND ekiga. It lacks features only more hardcore users (yes, i just referred to some IM users as hardcore) like meta contacts, which is on the way as well. It is simple and integrates well, and we want to make Ubuntu friendly for NEW users. Old users who prefer the clutter and feature madness of pidgin will simply install it from Add/Remove. If Ubuntu switched to Empathy, it's development is going to get a huuuggggeee boost so the feature gap will close and eventaully reverse.
    Very true!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bou View Post
    Am I the one missing contacts in Empathy? I mean, all my contacts set to "do not disturb" appear as disconnected here, and I'm at an IRC channel where no one appears in the list, even though there ARE people there.
    Yeah I seem to be getting this bug, if I look on pidgin then I see a few people are online, I switch to empathy and it shows no online users.

Beans
    Distro

i've been playing with it for a while, and it has an extremely annoying behavior -- when a message is received from a person without an open conversation open, the alert comes up in the notification area, and does not spawn a new window -- this is unlike any other IM application I have ever used.

I filed a bug report, and didn't get a friendly response, sadly.

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=585914

so for me, empathy is NOT ready to replace pidgin, as it presents a usability regression for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

When I get a new message I get a message-indicator thing, does that not happen for you?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by whiprush View Post
    When I get a new message I get a message-indicator thing, does that not happen for you?
    it does, it's just very annoying -- why do i need to click on the icon when in pidgin (or other IM apps), I can simply switch to the new conversation tab? Having to move my hand from the keyboard is extremely annoying in this case.

also, most of the time, I don't even notice, since I don't look at the notification area often -- this means that friends can leave messages, and leave before I have the chance to respond, simply because I never noticed that i received an IM, even though I was actively using the application.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Once it has Meta-Contacts, I'm dumping Pidgin. Until then, I have to stick with Pidgin because having 6 "John Doe"'s is kinda annoying >.>
    Bios Elemental - My Blog | Useful Ubuntu and WINE related help as well as general Geek Things.

Page 9 of 83 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast