View Poll Results: Should Ubuntu 9.10 have Empathy instead of Pidgin as the default Instant Messenger?

Voters
538. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

217 40.33%
  • No

321 59.67%
Page 10 of 83 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: Is empathy ready to replace pidgin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Is empathy ready to replace pidgin

Quote Originally Posted by Bios Element View Post
    Once it has Meta-Contacts, I'm dumping Pidgin. Until then, I have to stick with Pidgin because having 6 "John Doe"'s is kinda annoying >.>
    This is the thinking we should avoid. We are not choosing our own IM clients, we are choosing the client for new users. We may keep pidgin no matter what the default is. New users should be presented with empathy because is is simple and less intimidating. Most users aren't looking for meta-contacts (although it is on the way).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by yoasif View Post
    it does, it's just very annoying -- why do i need to click on the icon when in pidgin (or other IM apps), I can simply switch to the new conversation tab? Having to move my hand from the keyboard is extremely annoying in this case.

also, most of the time, I don't even notice, since I don't look at the notification area often -- this means that friends can leave messages, and leave before I have the chance to respond, simply because I never noticed that i received an IM, even though I was actively using the application.
    agreed. this really should be fixed. it should behave like update manager but with flashing in the window list.
    Last edited by zekopeko; June 16th, 2009 at 12:20 AM.
    WARNING: "sudo rm -rf /" = BAD Read this for more information.
    Q6600-Abit IP35-2 GB RAM-250GTS 1GB

*Docky FTW!*

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by DPic View Post
    This is the thinking we should avoid. We are not choosing our own IM clients, we are choosing the client for new users. We may keep pidgin no matter what the default is. New users should be presented with empathy because is is simple and less intimidating. Most users aren't looking for meta-contacts (although it is on the way).
    Um, Right...I already recommend it for new users. Why should I avoid the fact that it's only missing one feature for me to use it? That's a glowing endorsement. Ya know, Eating your own dog food and all that. >.> I never said the lack of meta-contacts would bother the general user, Just that it would bother me.
    Bios Elemental - My Blog | Useful Ubuntu and WINE related help as well as general Geek Things.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I like Empathy and for 2.28 it would be more mature, love to see it in Ubuntu Karmic as default, but on the other side I find the notification icon not a desire option, the expected behavior is that messages show up in a new window.

Beans
    Distro

and imagine all the cool stuff they can do later with empathy/telepathy!
    can't wait.
    Last edited by zekopeko; June 16th, 2009 at 02:22 PM.
    WARNING: "sudo rm -rf /" = BAD Read this for more information.
    Q6600-Abit IP35-2 GB RAM-250GTS 1GB

*Docky FTW!*

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zekopeko View Post
    and image all the cool stuff they can do later with empathy/telepathy!
    can't wait.
    i can imagine... BUT i would not change the app before those nice features emerge... WHEN they are there, THEN change the app... changing it now would be regression of usability

again - my own impression - does not necessarily be true or correct, but this is how -=I=- feel, so feel free to disagree

Beans

I'm against the idea of replacing Pidgin with Empathy:

- Pidgin has a much bigger user base.
    - Pidgin has a great set of features which works very well.
    - Pidgin has a great set of plugins (Guifications, for instance).
    - Pidgin has a better MSN protocol support (essential for Spanish & other European users).
    - Pidgin has a better UI (have you seen the Empathy's Accounts dialog? I'm unable to read the whole account name in the accounts list!).
    - Pidgin has a better integration with the Ubuntu desktop (Indicator Applet, Fast User Switch Applet...).
    - Pidgin is a much more mature and stable project.

So the answer is: no, Empathy is NOT ready to replace Pidgin at this moment.
    Last edited by ricpelo; June 16th, 2009 at 12:13 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ricpelo View Post
    I'm against the idea of replacing Pidgin with Empathy:

- Pidgin has a much bigger user base.
    <snip>
    - Pidgin has a better integration with the Ubuntu desktop (Indicator Applet).
    - Pidgin is a much more mature and stable project.

Pidgin/Empathy is nothing more than multiprotocol IM client, doesn't matter if 10 or 10k users.

Empathy is integrated to gnome, so would say it integrates far better than pidgin to any desktop distro that uses Gnome.

Empathy offers far more potential than pidgin all-around.
    giving it enough time to fully evolve.
    I won't answer to difficult guestions.

Beans

> Pidgin has a much bigger user base.
    It's the only pure truth you said

> Pidgin has a great set of features which works very well.
    What about voice and video chat? Pidgin doesn't have them, Empathy does.

> Pidgin has a great set of plugins (Guifications, for instance).
    Don't know what are you talking about. I can't find "guification" in my plugins. So, this is half-true.

> Pidgin has a better MSN protocol support (essential for Spanish & other European users).
    Empathy use the same codebase (libpurple)

> Pidgin has a better UI (have you seen the Empathy's Accounts dialog? I'm unable to read the whole account name in the accounts list!).
    No, pidgin UI is overcomplicated and much worse in most case. Your fact is just one case. What about history? Empathy history is sooo much better

> Pidgin has a better integration with the Ubuntu desktop (Indicator Applet, Fast User Switch Applet...).
    It's a lie. Empathy is better integrated. It's the default Gnome client, pidgin is not. Indicator applet is one big failure, it just sucks to reply through Indicator, than choose pidgin, than manually search for the contact

> Pidgin is a much more mature and stable project.
    Hm, the second full truth.

> So the answer is: no, Empathy is NOT ready to replace Pidgin at this moment.
    After the plans to replace stable and "just works" RB with banshee, I would not be surprised if they get rid of pidgin.

// To moderators: please pass it, no offence here

Beans

In Jaunty, Empathy doesn't use the Gnome system Proxy Settings and has no facility to set a Network Proxy in its own preferences - see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...hy/+bug/304889.

I don't think Empathy is suitable to replace Pidgin until this bug has been fixed, as it looks like a major regression to anyone installing Ubuntu on new PCs behind a corporate firewall.

Once it is fixed, I think Empathy is the way to go.

Roger

Page 10 of 83 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast