Thread: Bash sleep/execution question

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Bash sleep/execution question

I like to listen to music when I go to bed, so I made a very simple script to kill audacious after 30 minutes.

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    sleep 1800
    killall audacious
    Is there a way to specify how long I want the sleep duration to be upon executing the script if I want it to be longer or shorter than 30 minutes? I know very little about scripting, so I don't know if there's a simple way to just have a dialog box pop up where I can type in the length of time I want, click ok, and have the script run.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Beans

Re: Bash sleep/execution question

I edited and commented on your script as to what I edited in does:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    ## This prompt will allow you to enter the amount of time you wish for the script to sleep
    echo "How long do you wish for the script to sleep:"
    ## This reads the input as a variable, which will be used to set the amount of time to sleep
    read sleep
    ## The variable is read here
    sleep $sleep
    killall audacious
    You must run this from a terminal, though, as creating a GUI prompt would be getting beyond what Bash can do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Bash sleep/execution question

Thanks! That's very helpful. Is there a way to have the script run in the terminal by double clicking it rather than opening a terminal and typing in the path of the script? I tried having it open with gnome-terminal, but that didn't work.