Thread: Very Slow 9.04 download

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Very Slow 9.04 download

I've been trying to upgrade 8.04 to 9.04, but the download speed is incredibly slow. I have DSL, which works at an acceptable speed but this upgrade is downloading at less than 1K, and will take days to complete. I complained to my ISP but was told that the DSL line is giving my about 350kp. So, apparently the problem is with the Ubuntu server. What do you suggest? Should I wait for a month or so until the mad rush is past?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Very Slow 9.04 download

Wouldnt you have to go 8.04>8.10>9.04? As far as I know you cant go straight from 8.04 to 9.04
    "There is no failure, just ways that don't work" And when this is realized, people are much happier in life because if they stop trying, they fail as to give up. If people take this approach in life, they will never ever fail"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Are you using a Linksys router?? My router is extremely slow when pulling from the repositories,but speedy everywhere else? WRT54G I think is the model #
    Registered Ubuntu User #6724

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I "misspoke." I have 8.10 rather than 8.04, which I'm not sure exists.

Yes, I have a Linksys router, model WRT54G. Is that my problem? Other downloads work at reasonable speeds. If that's the problem what can I do short of buying an other brand of router. What brand works better?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I don't think the problem is the ISP or the router. I have the same model btw.

When I installed Jaunty I had to download all my personal applications at the same time and the speed was incredibly slow. So I changed the source server and everything went well, pretty fast.

Open "System >> Administration >> Software Sources", click the "Download from" drop-down menu and select "Other", then hit "Select Best Server" or manually select a server near you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for the tip. The downloads now are significant speeder than before.