Thread: Cannot install on new laptop

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Red face Cannot install on new laptop

Tried to install 8.04 on a new HP G60 notebook and I get an abnormal exit error.

udevd-event[1549]: run_program: '/sbin/modprobe' abnormal exit

(some other info about busybox I didn't write down)
    Then the cursor after
    (initramfs)_

HELP I really would like to use it on this computer, as I already have a dual boot with xp on my desktop, and have really not taken a liking to vista. I also tried 7.10 and it cannot find my graphics properties and then just hangs up.
    This has a mobile intel 4 series express chipset family with an intel 7.15.10.1518 driver and 1366 x 768 screen resolution. Am fairly new to ubuntu and am learning, but this has me stumped.
    Last edited by sarwiz; May 10th, 2009 at 04:33 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Cannot install on new laptop

bump for help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Did you try installing with the Ubuntu Alternate install cd?
    My Launchpad
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Wiki Page

Beans
    Distro

NO I used a cd I burned from the download ISO, that I had previously used to install Ubuntu on my desktop. Downloaded and burned 9.04 last night, and may try that later today. So far, I have tried 8.04, 8.04 with Emc2,and 7.10. Will also try 6.06 and 9.04 later. Where do I get the alternate cd? ( I do have the dvd's that came with the book, and that one also failed, plus one I got from canonical in the mail last year, also same error. )Should I also try 8.10? I do have an iso of that as well.

wpshooter is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by sarwiz View Post
    NO I used a cd I burned from the download ISO, that I had previously used to install Ubuntu on my desktop. Downloaded and burned 9.04 last night, and may try that later today. So far, I have tried 8.04, 8.04 with Emc2,and 7.10. Will also try 6.06 and 9.04 later. Where do I get the alternate cd? ( I do have the dvd's that came with the book, and that one also failed, plus one I got from canonical in the mail last year, also same error. )Should I also try 8.10? I do have an iso of that as well.
    Just go to the Ubuntu website and look for the ALTERNATE (which is a text based "installer" (not to be confused with the X desktop/server)) instead of the desktop/live CD version. I recommend downloading from the Purdue server.

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: Cannot install on new laptop

Thank you. I found the alternate dl's and have previously dlled from the argonne site, but since I live right by purdue nw i'll try that one. UPDATE: got 9.04 to install and run correctly, but the wireless will not connect. It found my card ok, and can find nearby networks, but won't connect to mine. I am on the same puter now running vista, and connected fine. I don't know where to look to find a way to diagnose this problem.

Beans

I think network manager is up automatically in the system tray, you can try that