Thread: Communication error with a LightScribe drive

Beans
    Hidden!

Question Communication error with a LightScribe drive

Hello to everybody.

I have installed Ubuntu 9.04 in my PC with a lightscribe DVD driver (concretely a HP DVD1070).
    When I try to burn a label I always receive this error:

A communication error has occurred with the LightScribe drive. Please restart your PC and try the label again.

I has download and installed the lightscribe software: lightscribe-1.18.4.1-linux-2.6-intel.dev

And I am using the Lacie LightScribe Labeler.

I has tried to reboot the system, use the Lightscribe Simple Labeler program, reinstall the Lightscribe System Software but wothout any result.

PD: The problem apears during the burning process (between 30-50%). For this reason I know the hardware is ok (when I used windows I didn't have any problem but I don't want return to the Bill Gates system).

Any idea?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Communication error with a LightScribe drive

Anybody with this problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Communication error with a LightScribe drive

I have the same problem with my HP Pavilion dv2000t's LightScribe drive. Unfortunately I gave up on LightScribe due to this issue and the cost of LightScribe discs, so I don't have a solution.

It's the exact same issue: a failure contributed to communication error that usually occurs at 30 to 50 percent done, although sometimes as late as 90 percent (very frustrating). I believe I managed to burn maybe 1 or 2 discs out of 10 or 15...

Funny enough, I had an issue with the drive on Windows as well, with the burning crapping out halfway through in a similar manner. Maybe my problem is a hardware issue?
    Software: Ubuntu 10.04 "Lucid Lynx" (x86_64); Linux Kernel 2.6.32-26-generic; Gnome 2.30.2; X.Org 1.7.6
    Hardware: Hewlitt-Packard HDX16; Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 @ 2.2 GHz; 3.9 GiB RAM; nVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT (512 MB RAM)