Thread: Lan Driver Conflict in Ubuntu 8.10

Beans

Lan Driver Conflict in Ubuntu 8.10

hi there guys,

I was having trouble with Ubuntu 8.10 Realtek RTL8169. Then i was able to solve the problem by installing the latest RTL8168 lan from Realtek. After reboot 2 LAN driver cause conflict.

sudo lsmod | grep r81*

revealed 2 lan driver exists. r8169 and r8168 .

i have tried to black by gedit etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

I have also used sudo rmmod r8169 after reboot the 2 lan drivers still runs. then i have uninstalled both of the drivers. After reboot both of the drivers still runs.

There are 2 things that runs on my mind one is to edit /etc/rc.local file. How to edit the rc.local file to make sure that r8169 never runs again and renaming the r8169 LAN driver. Please show how to solve this problem.

Beans

Re: Lan Driver Conflict in Ubuntu 8.10

For those who have r8169 lan issue black listing and updating with proper driver can solve the problem. I have managed to solve the problem. Below are the steps

Blacklist the R8169

gedit etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

Add
    sudo blacklist r8169

*important to update the list or else Ubuntu 8.10 won't blacklist r8169.
    update command

sudo update-initramfs -k all -u

remove the default LAN driver which is built-in kernel.

rmmod r8169

then download the latest version of r8168 driver from Realtek. i have managed to get the latest driver from Realtek which is r8168-8.011.00.tar. this driver works perfectly.

install the latest driver

You are ready to use the LAN device

*Blacklist and Update very important

Beans

Sir,

I seem to be having a similar issue to what you describe. Though I am a 15+ year Windows tech this is my first experience with Linux. I have a Abit IP35 Pro motherboard with two matching RTL8110SC integrated NIC cards.

On a fresh install of Ubuntu both NIC cards recognize and use the r8169 driver yet I have no network connectivity. I can see both cards in the Network Manager. Both cards and any "wired connections" I create remain greyed out on the Network Manager l-click selection list. I have followed instructions on setting up a static ip address by editing the interfaces and resolv files to no avail. I assume this is driver related as my router recognizes an active NIC during boot up. Once Ubuntu is loaded the router does not recognize the NIC.

I also tried your solution of black listing the 8169 driver and installing the 8168 driver. Oddly the 8169 driver reappears after a reboot and I do not see the 8168 driver.

I have spent a few days now beating my head against this wall. I am open to any suggestions if you can shed light on the situation.

Thank you,

Kowala

Beans

have you solved the issue?