Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Epson Scanners

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: HowTo: Epson Scanners

ken300: In the future, another option, if you're REALLY forced to use Windows for something like this, is VirtualBox; apparently Epson's scanning utilities work fine in VirtualBox, so if you have a copy of XP (keep it legal, kids!) or Win7 or whatever you could always install that in VirtualBox, install the Epson utilities and run VirtualBox in seamless mode. That way you're just basically using Windows as a backend to run your scanning program; no need to boot into it and loose all the Ubuntu/Linux goodness!

DoctorMO: I came across this thread because I was setting up an Epson V500 for my father, and your PPA did the trick; I went the simple way and "add-apt-repository ppa:doctormo/doctormo-epson-scanners"'d it, but then of course I had to go into /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ and edit the repository info to change "karmic" to "jaunty". I know it's just a minor thing, but maybe for the sake of people who aren't veterans of Ubuntu, could you update it to add karmic to the list? It does seem to work perfectly with the same packages.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hey Phil,

Thanks for the update, glad it worked well happy people are so hard to find because they never seem to complain.

Could you send me an email about updating the packages to karmic? I'm at UDS right now so I'm a little caught up in things, but will get to it if I have something I can pin on my todo.
    42 is not an anwser, it's an error code. the universe is saying 'Error 42: meaning to universe not found'
    Programmer, Teacher and Artist

Beans

Just a note: I have an Artisan 700 epson. I had problem getting it working at first. I referred back to getting an Artec flatbed working and having the correct USB address for it. If you list all the attached USB devices (lsusb) in a terminal and the scanner shows up, which in my case it did, you should be able to see it in the list. With that, all you have to do is go to (etc/sane.d), open the epson.conf, look for the line (usb 0x4b8 -x..., and then just edit it to the address you got from the lsusb command. It was relatively simple and Xsane or Quiteinsane will see the scanner and it will work. No drivers to download or other programs and it works, at least for me. This is with 9.04. All you really need in the file is the usb line and that is it. Hope this helps.

# epson.conf
    #
    # here are some examples for how to configure the EPSON backend
    #
    # SCSI scanner:
    scsi EPSON
    # for the GT-6500:
    scsi "EPSON SC"
    #
    # Parallel port scanner:
    #pio 0x278
    #pio 0x378
    #pio 0x3BC
    #
    # USB scanner:
    # There are two different methods of configuring a USB scanner: libusb and the kernel module
    # For any system with libusb support (which is pretty much any recent Linux distribution) the
    # following line is sufficient. This however assumes that the connected scanner (or to be more
    # accurate, it's device ID) is known to the backend.
    usb
    # For libusb support for unknown scanners use the following command
    # usb <product ID> <device ID>
    # e.g.:
    usb 0x4b8 0x846
    # And for the scanner module, use the following configuration:
    #usb /dev/usbscanner0
    #usb /dev/usb/scanner0
    Last edited by coskierken; November 17th, 2009 at 12:29 AM.

Beans

Unhappy Re: HowTo: Epson Scanners

hi guys..

i m still newbie with ubuntu currently using the ubuntu 9.10

having problem to install scanner epson perfection v500 photo..keep getting error and so on..can someone help me?i already try lsusb and a few tricks..but still fail avail...kinda hate to switch to window juz to scan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

sawanishi: If you need some help, the best thing to do is explain exactly what you've done so far and what error your getting.
    42 is not an anwser, it's an error code. the universe is saying 'Error 42: meaning to universe not found'

Beans

Red face Re: HowTo: Epson Scanners

Hi i try this link to add
    https://launchpad.net/~doctormo/+archive/doctormo-epson-scanners

but when i try to key in the key the error was

gpg: requesting key 113659DF from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com
    gpg: keyserver timed out
    gpg: keyserver receive failed: keyserver error

did i missing the steps or did i forgot something?

currently using 9.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Try it again, sometimes the key server can be down and sometimes your computer might be offline.

Beans

Smile Re: HowTo: Epson Scanners

ok i already manage to get my epson perfection v500 work..

1. i go to avasys.jp/eng to install the driver
    2. lsusb
    3. sudo chmod 666 /dev/bus/usb/002/002 ...change the bus and device num accordingly

and it works..yea..finally.

thanks again though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

sawanishi, you know it'll stop working when you reset the computer?

One of the reasons I created the deb files I did, was to provide a way of telling the computer to put the scanner into the scanners group, so you didn't have to set the permission every time you plugged in the scanner or reset the computer.

FYI.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

the epson v500 is an interesting scanner and i'm thinking of buying it.
    i've read this >link< but before buying, could please someone provide a screenshot of "image scan!" software to see how much basic it is?
    color profiles are supported? scanners profiles are provided? and then, xsane still can't reach 9600dpi? someone experiencing some issues on lucid lynx 64 bit?

thanx for help
    Last edited by breek; August 2nd, 2010 at 07:38 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast