Thread: Startup Programs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Startup Programs

I'm trying to select a program (boinc) to open upon start. I'm really new to Linux. What file would I be selecting in the 'add startup' menu?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Startup Programs

Just type in the "command" box the raw name of the application. For example, if I want cairo dock to start automatically on start up, then I would type "cairo-dock". Just find out what the command is to start it up from terminal. I believe if you right click the application launcher it'll have it there.
    Last edited by Tipped OuT; May 8th, 2009 at 11:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, found the command!

Beans
    Distro

Is there a way to boot it in the second desk? Anything that leaves the workspace clear, while still running boinc.

Beans

Smile Re: Startup Programs

Hi, I sort of have a similar problem, except I am way new to Ubuntu. I have downloaded BOINC to the desktop and no matter what I try I can not open it. sudo apt-get and the boinc-client boinc-manager do not work and I trid it with boinc-client, boinc-manager and still no joy! Also, I checked and it is not listed in system tools. Any ideas? Thanks.

Beans

I am running Ubuntu 8.04.1 LTS Desktop Edition.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by MFinkel View Post
    Hi, I sort of have a similar problem, except I am way new to Ubuntu. I have downloaded BOINC to the desktop and no matter what I try I can not open it. sudo apt-get and the boinc-client boinc-manager do not work and I trid it with boinc-client, boinc-manager and still no joy! Also, I checked and it is not listed in system tools. Any ideas? Thanks.
    Open a terminal, run
    Code:
    cd Desktop
    sh ./boinc.name.of.file.sh
    I can't recall the file name, so replace boinc.name.of.file with whatever it is.

Running the script will create a boinc directory, so once that's done, "cd" into the boinc directory and run
    Code:
    ./run_client
    to set it up.