Thread: Problems Accessing Internet

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Angry Problems Accessing Internet

Hi. I downloaded Ubuntu for my mother's HP laptop. I was confident and stupid enough to delete Windows from her hard drive, because I had done this same process on my boyfriend's Toshiba laptop and everything worked just fine, so I didn't have any worries.

When I installed Ubuntu, everything was fine. It absolutely WILL NOT access any sort of wireless internet, whatsoever. It keeps telling me to download updates and restricted hardware, but I don't have internet to download anything!

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Problems Accessing Internet

Okay. Now it's giving me a wireless driver to download but I don't have any internet to download the driver.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Smile Re: Problems Accessing Internet

Generic Bond,

In order to get your wireless card working you are going to have to get connected to the Internet. I'm willing to bet that your wireless card needs to have a restricted driver to work at all. The easiest way to do this is to connect your machine via its wired Ethernet interface to the Internet and download the restricted driver, (and any other updates) then you can connect wirelessly thereafter. For more info see the docs below or ask for further clarification here.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs

Best of luck & enjoy the weekend!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

If I were you I'd try to check if my wireless interface is up.

Go to a terminal and type

ifconfig -a
    . You should see something like wlan0. If not just type
    sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
    and it should fix it.

If that's not the problem I agree with evolutionaryit and try connecting your laptop to the wired network.

Dont forget to check if you have a DHCP or static ip connection, if you have static ips then right click on the network-applet and click on
    Edit Connections...->Wired tab->choose your wired network->click on the Edit button
    Now you need to enter the parameters. IP,subnet mask,gateway,dns.

If you are just DHCP, coonect yourself to the wired network and check the following command:

lspci -v
    and check for Network Controller, you'll see the one you're using for wireless as well as the driver.

Check if its supported by Ubuntu. You can check this page:
    http://linuxwireless.org/en/users

I have an HP Pavilion dv6000 with Ubuntu 9.04 fresh new instalation and the wireless rocks! Btw my processor is Intel. If you're Intel check this site. http://intellinuxwireless.org/

You can also download the packages your system is telling to and see what happens, thats the fun of this

I hope it helps!
    The information is free, share it!
    Linux User #488015 Ubuntu User #26785

Beans

if you could hook your machine via LAN ( wired ) to a router and then get the updates..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks for all of your input. I figured it out.