Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most high quality and lossless image filetype with GIMP?

Beans

Most high quality and lossless image filetype with GIMP?

Yeah, I know I post a lot but sometimes I just keep having questions..

You may call me picky if you like

I feel like I can spot individual pixels right on and it really annoys me because I keep feeling my artwork is looking low-quality.

What's the most lossless and quality preserving options? I would imagine png is the most lossless, but GIMP also gives me a lot of other options which I don't really know wether to select or not to preserve quality.

So, what is the best quality for GIMP?
    My Deviantart
    Doin' it GIMP style

Beans

Re: Most high quality and lossless image filetype with GIMP?

from what i can tell from a quick search on google, TIF, PNG, and BMP are all lossless, so any of those would be the best quality because it doesn't really compress them like, say, a jpg.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

go with PNG. it had transparency and gives you small files from vector images (think inkscape)

Beans

Which options in png do I check/uncheck? I have no idea what saving layer offsets or gamma do
    My Deviantart
    Doin' it GIMP style

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-images-...-export-dialog
    Scroll down to "1.2.3. Saving as PNG" Heheh. I'd say your best bet is PNG. TIFF works too, but I don't know what all websites would support uploading it.
    Yarly!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Assuming the image is perfect quality to begin with the image can only be displayed as sharp as the dot pitch on the monitor (physical dimension of each pixel on the monitor). Formats that are lossless will have the highest quality but that's only if the images used to make it were not compressed to begin with, crap in, crap out. Over sharpening and scaling up images can also reduce quality dramatically.

Something else to consider in image formats (not related to sharpness) is bit depth and the capability for layers. BMP is loss but supports only 8-bits per channel color where as PNG supports up to 16-bits per channel color. Some image formats like EXR support up 32-bits per channel color (floating point color). Generally speaking images that are 8-bits per channel without layers and slight lossy compression are standard for viewing on the web. Cheers!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

BMP is also uncompressed, and does not support 32-bit color (only 24-bit, no alpha channel). No one uses BMP on the internet but newbies. I only use BMP for older OS without support for any other format for backgrounds (Win9x)
    I USE THIS SMILEY because im a rocker!!! \m/ pantara and nerveina roles!

also yo-yo ma is great.

Beans

Gimp only supports up to 8bit per channel images.

So pretty much anything that can gif or jpg will be lossless as long as it isn't a paletted image.

PNG,TIFF or TGA would be my first port of call - depending on what you are using the image for.

The options in PNG are really mostly about information stored inside the png file that might be useful to a program trying to open it. They don't really affect the quality of the data in any way.

Beans

Always use '.xcf' extension as long as you are working on the picture, this preserves the original elements when using layers. Only when finally ready then save as either PNG (if transparency is required) of JPG (be aware: Gimp will use the highest compression as standard!! The less compression the better the image). But it is always a trade off: more compression = less loading time on webpages...

As been said above already: everything starts with the quality of the original image...
    Ubuntu 10.10, Linux-only-Home-made PC !

^ Neaver use Jpg unless it is absolutly nesoserry, eavent the highet quality mode is lossy and introduces artifacts, eapetily around airias of sharp colour changes(line drawings). In this case a palleted format like PNG is much better, or using vector graphics insted. Jpg was only designed to compress photographic data, which id does very well, for vertually everything else it can produce awful results.
    im dyslexic, please don't comment on my spelling
    blender 3d artist, visit my portfolio
    Quad-Ren, Open source, resolution independent 2D graphics engine
    Screen space is a precious resource, don't waste it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast