Thread: Asus P5K-E Wireless cuts out regularly, signal is bad..?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Asus P5K-E Wireless cuts out regularly, signal is bad..?

So I have the Asus P5K-E mobo, with the integrated wifi. In Vista my signal was about 50%, and I never had any problems.

Now, in Jaunty, it still worked out of the box, but something is very wrong. The signal is at 13% and constantly cuts off. Sometimes it reconnects, sometimes it asks me for the WPA key (even though sometimes it doesnt need it...?).

Loading webpages are a nightmare, its so slow. Sometimes it feels like dialup (we have a 20Mb connection).

The weird thing is, as long as im connected (though barely, at 13%) i can run download managers and get great speeds from rapidshare (normally 1-1.3MB/s).

So clearly somethign is wrong with the driver here, it does funny things, can't decide to be slow or fast, favours some activities over others...

I have tried to run the windows driver (both x64 and 32bit) in ndiswrapper but to no avail, it doesnt work at all.

I know there is some kind of bug fix being worked out for the rtl8187 (i think this is what i have but im not sure). So is there anyone out there with the same mobo as me who can get their wireless to work??

Help is much appreciated!! I am still new to linux, having only used it regularly for a month or so..

So thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

Beans
    Distro

Re: Asus P5K-E Wireless cuts out regularly, signal is bad..?

the signal seems to be the same on all the networks i pick up. 13% approximately. in windows my own network was at 50 and some of the other ones nearby at 80. i dont get why the signal is so low in ubuntu..?

Beans
    Distro

nothing?

Beans
    Distro

i should add an update now, the connection has been pretty stable the past 2 days, not really dropping off anymore (*touches wood*), but the signal is still really low.

what is most irritating is the web pages loading. it takes anywhere between 1-10 mins to load an average web page. once again, this is the slow part. given that the connection doesnt drop i can get good download speeds and such... so i dont understand what the problem is.

thing is, browsing is what i need to do most, and at this point its getting to be a little ridiculous. i dont have the option to run a wired connection (router is in other room) and i dont have another wireless adapter.

i dont think i will buy a new wireless adapter to make ubuntu run so i guess its back to windows, unless some clever programmer figures this one out.

Beans
    Distro

heh well here is another interesting update:

after having a bit of a think about why web pages were so slow to load and why i still could get high speeds once a connection was established (in the case of a big http download) i applied some networking knowledge that came to me (from one of my lectures at uni last year.. what do you know, they do sink in!)

i had a search around to see if anyone using ubuntu had experienced slow DNS resolving. hey presto, theres a huge issue with IPv6 and misconfigured networks.

long story short i changed firefox's about:config to disable IPv6 and browsing is now much faster.

of course, signal is still low, and as a result the connection cuts out. but as long as im connected, internet activity is working as it should.

Beans
    Distro

false alarm, disabling IPv6 did very little.

today browsing is slow as molasses again

Beans
    Distro

today i plugged in a belkin usb adapter, which was recongised right away by jaunty.

same problem, connectino at 13-15% dropping off and not being able to connect.

this leads me to conclude that jaunty is not for me as it does not work well with any wireless. i may go back to hardy, but for now im sticking with windows because it works and i need my internet.

Beans