Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless Broken Dell Mini 9/Ubuntu 9.04

Beans

Wireless Broken Dell Mini 9/Ubuntu 9.04

Hi,

I just upgraded to the .12 linux kernal that was advertised in software update this morning. The install went fine, however, my wireless gorked now. It was using a restricted driver. I cannot even see my built in wireless card that came with my mini 9.

Please not I am using a broadcom wireless card that came built in with the mini 9. In the "Hardware drivers" section in preferences, it does nto show ANYTHING under that panel.

Any help please?

Thanks
    Last edited by yeayea911; May 7th, 2009 at 06:20 PM.

Beans

Re: Wireless Broken Dell Mini 9/Ubuntu 9.04

I am having this exact problem as well. Does anyone have any advice for making sure I have all the relevant drivers and then installing them? Some exact terminal commands would help very much. Thanks!

Beans

I have the same situation as well.

Beans

i think it may be related to this bug:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/372876

Beans

Easiest solution: Boot into the old kernel from your Grub boot menu, until the problem is fixed upstream.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Do a clean install of 8.10 or 9.04 and move on. Unless you enjoy messing around with the details.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by s9032g@comcast.net View Post
    Do a clean install of 8.10 or 9.04 and move on. Unless you enjoy messing around with the details.
    That's just silly; you'll never learn anything if you completely reinstall every time a minor problem comes up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I feel for everyone, but appreciate the information. I'm going to hold off any updates to my Mini related to the kernel until this clears up.

Keep us posted, please.

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm sorry you guys are having trouble with the proposed kernel.

That said, I generally recommend against enabling the proposed repositories, where this particular kernel resides at the moment. The jaunty-proposed repository is essential a "testing" repository, and although most of the packages that make it into the proposed repo are good, these kinds of problems occur periodically and are to be expected.

For people who are ready to take the risk in order to help out with testing, thank you! Please just make sure that you examine each individual package carefully before performing updates so that you are aware of which packages are coming from proposed, and whether the proposed updates look reasonable and complete.

And for folks who haven't experienced this problem ... you probably don't have jaunty-proposed enabled (it's not enabled by default) and you are unlikely to encountered these kinds of problems. I won't say never, but it's quite rare.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Indeed.

And it appears the bug on Launchpad has been fixed, with an update released, or the repo's updated, according to the email thread on the bug ID.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast