Thread: Video card set up in Jaunty

Threaded View

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Video card set up in Jaunty

Hello!

Firstly, I've played with Ubuntu on and off for a few years, but technically speaking, I'm still a complete newbie. I'd like to shed the last bonds to Microsoft, and my games are the only thing holding me back.

The problem: I've succesfully installed STEAM via Wine, and succesfully installed Day of Defeat: Source (another mod on HL2, Source-based). However, when I launch DOD, the menu screen is so screwed up it's impossible to navigate. An attempt to join a random server ended in the game crashing before it got past the "send client info" stage.

Now, I believe my problem is that I need to grab the proprietary drivers from ATI... I have an ATI Radeon x1200 on my Toshiba Satellite. My understanding is that ATI Catalyst 9.3 will not support this card. Is this correct? If it is correct, is there some workaround in Jaunty? I've attempted to install both 9.3 and 8.9, both met with the same errors:

Error: ./default_policy.sh does not support version
    default:v2:x86_64:lib32::none:2.6.28-11-generic; make sure that the version is being
    correctly set by --iscurrentdistro

I'd appreciate any help... it does not need to be directly related to DOD I think, any experience in getting Source and videocards in general working would be helpful.

Thank you, and please be patient with this newbie :)

EDIT: Incidentally, I also thought I would note Jaunty has done quite well on my Toshiba Satellite A215-S5837. Everything worked out of the box... even my wifi! That was a VERY nice surprise. I'd always had issues configuring wifi in the past...
    Last edited by I_luv_saber; May 7th, 2009 at 12:01 PM.