Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What SVN client do you use?

Beans

Question What SVN client do you use?

Hi, I have an SVN issue and actually it's the main blocker that doesn't let me fully switch to Linux.

I played with this around a month ago and if I remember correctly, I installed RapidSVN from repostitory (and a few other programmes but they were totally horrible). I spent huge amount of time on RapidSVN and googled very hard but I didn't manage to make this stupid RapidSVN remember my password. So every time I entered our repo it asked me to enter password for each folder and file that was in that folder.
    Could you tell me what do you use for working with SVN? I can't believe that there is no normal program for SVN because as far as I know Linux community mainly consists of computer geeks. On windows I work with TortoiseSVN and find it very very nice. It lets me easily browse repo, marks changed folders with icons, lets browse revisions and has a very nice TortoiceMerge that allows me to see changes in a specific file. Could you tell me is there any Linux SVN client close by functionality to the one I described?

Beans

Re: What SVN client do you use?

*up*

Beans

To Moderators:
    Uhhh....sorry, I guess I posted this topic in a wrong place. Could you move it to
    Ubuntu Forums > The Ubuntu Forum Community > Other Community Discussions > Development & Programming > Programming Talk
    http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=39

Beans
    Hidden!

The package "subversion" is exactly the same as TortoiseSVN, since Tortoise is simply a GUI frontend to the program itself.

Type "svn help" to get some help regarding the program itself

I don't know of any Linux GUI frontends to SVN... but only 'cause I've never looked, not becuase there aren't any.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I was once upon a time in the same situation you are now - trying to find a decent TortoiseSVN like GUI for svn on Linux.

There ain't one (there are some halfassed attempts but nothing worth using, imo).

I'm afraid you'll have to get used to using it from the command line

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeser View Post
    The package "subversion" is exactly the same as TortoiseSVN, since Tortoise is simply a GUI frontend to the program itself.

Type "svn help" to get some help regarding the program itself

I don't know of any Linux GUI frontends to SVN... but only 'cause I've never looked, not becuase there aren't any.
    No no, I mean a GUI client for the SVN client. I don't need to maintain the repositary. I am a developer and all I need to do is to have a quick and easy access to our files and to all the things (log messages, changes,...) that happen there.

Quote Originally Posted by kirsis View Post
    I was once upon a time in the same situation you are now - trying to find a decent TortoiseSVN like GUI for svn on Linux.

There ain't one (there are some halfassed attempts but nothing worth using, imo).

I'm afraid you'll have to get used to using it from the command line
    OMG, that sounds very weird. I thought a cool SVN client GUI was one of the first developed because all open-source developers very often work with it. I am really not sure if I'll switch from my nice Windows TortoiseSVN to command line.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene_Bondarenko View Post
    OMG, that sounds very weird. I thought a cool SVN client GUI was one of the first developed because all open-source developers very often work with it. I am really not sure if I'll switch from my nice Windows TortoiseSVN to command line.

Well, thing is, OSS developers likely enjoy using the CLI so it isn't a high priority to GUI-ify the process.

Btw, I do have one suggestion. If you use the Eclipse IDE, then there's an extension called Subclipse.

That worked pretty well for me, actually. Though I didn't use it very extensively (I'm not a fan of IDEs)

Beans

Thanks, I'll check that out however I have to say that I hate IDEs too. All I want from the development environment is nice color highliting and a tree of classes that lets me easily navigate in huge files.

Beans

I may be able to help out here. Most of your IDE environments--netbeans, anjuta, and I'm fairly sure Eclipse all have extensions which let you work with SVN from within the IDE itself.

Personally, I use svn for more than programming (it's great for a writer, believe it or not!) so for that I use SVN Workbench, which I'm rather fond of.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Linux: Because my business ISN'T "Everybody's Business"

Beans
    Hidden!

Wait, so... all you're doing is checking out and updating?

You can do the same with the commands "svn co" and "svn commit"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast