Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xfce 4.2.0 final released -- want it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Xfce 4.2.0 final released -- want it?

I just noticed XFCE 4.2.0 Final is out. Does anyone have dire need for it? It was a lot of work in the first place!
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans

Re: Xfce 4.2.0 final released -- want it?

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    I just noticed XFCE 4.2.0 Final is out. Does anyone have dire need for it? It was a lot of work in the first place!
    Wait for it to be in hoary...
    If this is life, I think I'll live another day

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    Don't worry about it jdong, I used the Repo provided on the XFCE download page.

http://www.os-works.com/view/debian/

Its works well. I was able to smoothly upgrade over your version. Thanks for the first debs, thats what got me hooked! This is all I'll run on my laptop now. its nice! much better than KDE IMHO!

EDIT: I went back and noticed that the only way I was able to get XFCE to install was your xnetcardconfig package in staging.
    Last edited by poofyhairguy; January 18th, 2005 at 10:50 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by poofyhairguy
    Don't worry about it jdong, I used the Repo provided on the XFCE download page.

http://www.os-works.com/view/debian/

Its works well. I was able to smoothly upgrade over your version. Thanks for the first debs, thats what got me hooked! This is all I'll run on my laptop now. its nice! much better than KDE IMHO!

EDIT: I went back and noticed that the only way I was able to get XFCE to install was your xnetcardconfig package in staging.
    Is XFCE actually noticably faster than gnome/kde?
    If this is life, I think I'll live another day

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenWolf
    Is XFCE actually noticably faster than gnome/kde?
    I have been using the new version for a day and a half and I can say that yes it is. In KDE and Gnome, the desktop environment ate up so many resources that my 400mhz celeron couldn't play divx movies without major skipage, on XFCE it fine.

Using it on my big box (2.66 P4) shows less differences. I bet anything over 2ghz + 256mb ram will handle Gnome and Xfce about the same.

I will probably switch back from Xfce to Gnome on my big box soon because I miss my weather applet, but XFCE is nice. I especially like not seeing the weird windowlines when I minimize, maximize stuff in gnome!

Beans

I used this to install Xfce: (use sudo when you do so)
    http://www.os-cillation.com/article.php?sid=43

Took less than five minutes to install.

Then create a .desktop file with this in it: (name it xfce.desktop or something similar)

[Desktop Entry]
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Name=Xfce 4.2 Session
    Comment=Use this session to run Xfce 4.2 as your desktop environment
    Exec=/usr/local/bin/startxfce4
    Icon=/usr/local/share/pixmaps/xfce4_xicon1.png
    Type=Application

Move it to /usr/share/xsessions, Restart gnome and Xfce will be listed under the sessions tab on the login screen.

It runs very fast compared to gnome. Takes less than 4 seconds to boot up, and in general, VERY fast.
    Last edited by MoveZig; January 18th, 2005 at 11:32 PM.
    Linux User #362510
    TuxForPres at gmail.com
    http://fortytwo.blogsome.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I too used the os-cillations installer, as "root" via sudo--very smooth after I added the missing libraries with Synaptic, which the xfce installer noticed right off when I restarted it. And I did none of the additional commands after installation; the option for xfce was right in the menu when I logged out.

Very nice environment so far. A pleasure to change the "face" of the system so easily.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Steinber
    And I did none of the additional commands after installation; the option for xfce was right in the menu when I logged out.
    Hmm... GDM didn't recognize it after I did the install, so I had to to the above in my previous post.

I forgot to say to install it using sudo. (edited now)
    Linux User #362510
    TuxForPres at gmail.com
    http://fortytwo.blogsome.com

Beans

So about 60% of the way through the installer, it crashes for me and the log file produces this... any thoughts??
    -Kevin

libglib-2.0.so -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib
    xfce4_session-xfsm-properties.o(.text+0xdc8): In function `xfsm_properties_load':
    : undefined reference to `compose'
    xfce4_session-xfsm-properties.o(.text+0xe38): In function `xfsm_properties_load':
    xfce4_session-xfsm-properties.o(.text+0xee5): In function `xfsm_properties_load':
    xfce4_session-xfsm-properties.o(.text+0xf27): In function `xfsm_properties_load':
    xfce4_session-xfsm-properties.o(.text+0xf69): In function `xfsm_properties_load':
    xfce4_session-xfsm-properties.o(.text+0xfab): more undefined references to `compose' follow
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make[2]: *** [xfce4-session] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/xfce4-4.2.0-installer/xfce4-session/xfce4-session'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/xfce4-4.2.0-installer/xfce4-session'
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    !! Failed to build xfce4-session, see the errors above
    !! for details on the problem.

Beans

so, for me the installer gets almost to 100%, but then flakes out and give this in the error log:

checking for unsetenv... yes
    checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config
    checking for gobject-2.0 >= 2.2.0... Requested 'gobject-2.0 >= 2.2.0' but version of GObject is 2.0.7

configure: error: Library requirements (gobject-2.0 >= 2.2.0) not met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.
    !! Failed to configure libxfce4util, see the errors above
    !! for details on the problem.

anyone have any ideas?

thanks in advance!
    Dell Inspiron 500m
    Dual boot: Ubuntu "Warty"/WinXP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast