Thread: Building a boot server, need some assistance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Building a boot server, need some assistance.

Hello, I an trying to setup a boot server on my home server but I run into road blocks on each article I try. My server runs ubuntu server 8.04 lts with a 500mhz processor, 248mb of ram, and a bucket load of disk space.

It currently runs as a webserver, a bittorrent downloader, file host for the download files, ssh server, and a few other small things. The main reason I want to setup a boot server is for experience and to build a collection of bootable utilities and os installers to help fix broken computers.

Now, I have installed tftpd-hpa and dhcp3 server but I couldn't get a spare machine to boot the bootloader. I'm not sure what's wrong. Please help.

PS. Known good resources are welcome and has anyone else successfully set one up, if so, can you please provide some tips?
    My PC: ASUS P5QC Motherboard w/ Intel Core2Quad 2.83GHz processor - 8GB of DDR2 800 RAM - nVidia GTX 550 TI 1GB - 1 500GB WD SATA Hard Drive - 750GB WD SATA Hard Drive - 2 ASUS DVD+/-RW DL Burners w/ Lightscribe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Building a boot server, need some assistance.

Bump, anyone?

Btw, google has failed to find me some easy to understand guides that cover everything required to make it work.
    My PC: ASUS P5QC Motherboard w/ Intel Core2Quad 2.83GHz processor - 8GB of DDR2 800 RAM - nVidia GTX 550 TI 1GB - 1 500GB WD SATA Hard Drive - 750GB WD SATA Hard Drive - 2 ASUS DVD+/-RW DL Burners w/ Lightscribe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

this should get you in the right direction:

http://users.telenet.be/mydotcom/how...diskless01.htm

also, mind that for network boots to work, the network adaptor in the client machine needs to be bootable (eg PXE)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The dhcp info on that page helped and I found a link from a different thread on here that helped get tftp working.

This page helped: http://www.davidsudjiman.info/2006/0...tpd-in-ubuntu/

Now I just need to add my own entries.