I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop that came with Windows. Using Wubi, I installed Ubuntu v 8.04 and have used it since as my default OS.

I decided I'd like to upgrade to v 9.04. I understood that that had to be done by first upgrading to v 8.10 and then upgrading from it to v 9.04.

I upgraded to v 8.10. I then began the upgrade to v 9.04, but was warned against continuing the upgrade, so didn't.

The warning was that my computer was currently using the AMD 'fglrx' graphics driver and that no version of that driver was available that works with my hardware in v 9.04.

I don't know what to do now.

Upgrade anyway? Stay where I am now, either temporarily or permanently? Downgrade to where I was (assuming that's possible)?

Is a version of the driver that works with my hardware in v 9.04 likely to become available?

As between versions 8.10 and 8.04, my understanding is that 8.04 will be supported for longer than 8.10. Is that a sufficient reason to go back to where I was before, assuming that's possible?

If it matters, before attempting the upgrade to v 8.10, I copied my entire home directory to /host as some kind of insurance.

I'd appreciate any advice.