Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wifi/internet problems since updating to jaunty? Read this!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Wifi/internet problems since updating to jaunty? Read this!

No, I did not get any error message. When I clicked on the package a menu appears that has an automatic installer (gdebi?) so I hit Enter. This happens so fast I did not remember the exact names of the menu items.

I urgently need help finding the package because right now I cannot use the Internet from my Ubuntu machine.

Beans
    Distro

PS: I got error message: "Could not resolve archive.ubuntu.com" when I try Add/Remove to look for wicd.

Beans
    Distro

bump

Beans
    Distro

Update:

I am getting somewhere: Downloaded and saved the pkg to USB key then copied it to Home folder in Ubuntu machine. Installed wicd. Found it very difficult to set up. I cannot see a window to enter my passphrase unless I tick on "autoconnect..". Even when I finally get the screen to show connected (to wired network...IP 192.168.x.y" I still get page load error. This is way more difficult than it should be. I may have to consider re-installing network manager and wait for Canonical to fix NM.

So, I am not THERE yet! Help!

Beans
    Distro

Finally get the net via wired connection. Still find wicd very clunky to set up. May consider returning to NM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Similar problem here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7291722 Please help!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I've installed wicd and rebooted twice.
    How do I enable encryption? It is wpa2. I use ndiswrapper to load the driver.
    Whenever I click on my network I get the msg "encryption needed".

Beans

Posting in case this helps someone. I have been following a few wifi related threads because I had problems with wifi after upgrading to Jaunty.

In the past I had manually setup my wifi WPA settings in the /etc/network/interfaces file. Then I started using the Gnome Network Manager. My manual settings did not cause a problem until I upgraded to Jaunty. Just for the heck of it I removed the manual settings from my file and it fixed the problems that I had.

I know that for some people this is a kernel issue, but for me it turned out to be a problem with Gnome Network Manager not liking my config settings.

If you are having problems and you had previously manually configured settings, back up your current copy and try to revert to only auto settings such as this....

Code:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

iface eth1 inet dhcp

auto eth1

iface wlan1 inet dhcp

auto wlan1
    Hope this helps someone.

Forgot to note this: For the newbies - the eth1 and wlan1 values may be different on your machine. Use the network interface names for your machine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12