Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wifi/internet problems since updating to jaunty? Read this!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Wifi/internet problems since updating to jaunty? Read this!

Here's the solution.

It worked fine for me.

1A. Get a web connection (another machine, another OS, whatever) if no wifi means no web for you (like me).

1B. Go here -- http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/all/wicd/download

1C. Pick a mirror from the page in #2 and download wicd. Save the DEB somewhere you can get to it from Ubuntu. If you are on a different machine, put it on a memory stick or something.

1D. Boot Ubuntu Jaunty.

2. Open your package manager (ie Synaptic). Mark network-manager and network-manager-gnome for complete removal.

To do this, click in the big pane on the right and start typing "network". Once you see the packages network-manager and network-manager-gnome (already installed), right click each and select "mark for complete removal". Then click apply and let it do its stuff.

3A. If you did all the steps in #1, get your DEB file of wicd. Find it and double-click it. Install it.

3B. If you have internet working okay in Ubuntu Jaunty, stay in Synaptic and install wicd from there (it's in the universe).

4. You should now have "Wicd Network Manager" somewhere on your programs menu. If not, you may have to edit the menu to find it and put it in a submenu that is visible. (I had to).

5A. Go into wicd. Find your wireless network on the list. It should have a green bar next to it. The rest is easy. Click the little down-arrow next to the network name to display more info on the network. Click advanced settings and enter your encryption info (key etc). Make sure you have this information.

5B. If your network says "<hidden>", you will need to know your ESSID. Click the down-arrow next to the big "Network" button. Click hidden network. Enter your ESSID. Do this AGAIN (for some reason). If your network still says "<hidden>", don't worry.

6. Restart Ubuntu.

7A. Go into wicd again. If you had to enter your ESSID manually, you might see two networks here: one named with your ESSID, the other "<hidden>". If you do see TWO WIFI NETWORKS: disconnect from the hidden network (you'll notice it has the same IP as the named one). Untick the automatically connect tickbox. Make sure the named network (with your ESSID) has its auto connect box ticked. Also, check the advanced settings. They should still have your encryption info.

7B. If you had two wifi nets and did #7A, restart Ubuntu again.

8. Open wicd. You should see one network, named with your ESSID. It should be connected and working.

There you go.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Wifi/internet problems since updating to jaunty? Read this!

May I suggest making this sticky?

I spent ages trying to get internet / wifi working in Jaunty with no avail until I installed wicd.

Lots of people keep posting with simmilar issues, so I posted this as a semi-definitive solution. Or at least, I had a lot of issues and it solved them all, so...

Beans

While I find wicd great and I've been using it for a while, I now need to use vpn connections which, I believe, wicd does not support. I am not sure if it supports multiple connections either.

It seems that for my 64 bit jaunty install neither knetworkmanager (which when last I looked in jaunty was totally broken - couldn't even enter the parameters of a wireless connection) nor gnome network applet are able to see my wireless device - at least with the latest update over the last couple of days. The wireless device is certainly there and I've written a shell script to configure each of my most frequent connections using iwconfig, ifconfig, route, but it is a pain to do this for all of the casual wireless connections I make.

I thought I would list what I would like from a network manager, since I think it will be similar to many other users.

1. My regular wireless and wired connections should just be found and connected. When I'm at home and open up my laptop it should just see the connection and connect. Similarly for my office.

2. It should handle vpn accounts with just a one-off configuration.
    I should not need to reconfigure every time I connect.

3. It should enable multiple connections to different wireless/wired networks at the same time. At my office, for instance, my printer is on a wireless network, but my internet connection is wired.

The gnome-network-manager was doing all of these, but at the moment it just isn't working for me - 64bit jaunty kernel 2.6.28-12-server on a Lenovo Thinkpad T61p with 4965 wireless card. As I've already said, it doesn't seem to know that there is a wireless card in the machine.

Here's a great site for command line wireless connections:

http://wirelessdefence.org/Contents/...ssCommands.htm

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I think it would be better if the following instruction is added in your manual(from http://wicd.sourceforge.net/download.php):

Make sure that the only entry in your /etc/network/interfaces file is:

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    Last edited by papangul; May 9th, 2009 at 05:42 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thumbs up on these directions. Removed network-manager, installed wicd, now it works. I had to reboot before my network was detected though, somehow it had gotten scrambled and was only seeing a few of the networks available in my building.

Something is definitely wrong with the network-manager in 9.04, in 8.10 it was working fine.

Beans

I was really hoping this would work, but alas, my Broadcom 4312 still can't detect my wireless network.

btw, I used a wired connection and just used synaptics to download wicd. It automatically removes Gnome network manager.

Beans

nice stuff..good job.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi,

I am in big trouble and I need help fast. Followed your instructions. After downloading wicd deb package and removing network manager, I cannot find wicd anywhere. Now I have no internet and I cannot do any update or using Synaptic becaause the source cannot be resolved.

Please help me, thanks alot!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

bump!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by iClouseau88 View Post
    bump!
    You installed the deb? Did you get an error message? When I installed it Wicd appeared under the Applications->Internet menu.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast