Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WI-fi gone after update

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: WI-fi gone after update

I had the same problem when I updated to the 2.6.28-12 kernel. Before, when running 28-11 I had the madwifi driver in my Hardware Drivers but it worked ok without it. It did, however, seem slightly faster with the madwif so I activated it. After the update, wireless didn't work and no madwifi or any other proprietary drivers showed in the H Drivers list. (ATI-fglrx-drivers still gone.. no 3D) So I rebooted with the 28-11 kernel and deactivated the madwifi. Then when I rebooted with 28-12, wifi worked perfectly. No 3D graphics but I don't need that anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by pastalavista View Post
    I had the same problem when I updated to the 2.6.28-12 kernel. Before, when running 28-11 I had the madwifi driver in my Hardware Drivers but it worked ok without it. It did, however, seem slightly faster with the madwif so I activated it. After the update, wireless didn't work and no madwifi or any other proprietary drivers showed in the H Drivers list. (ATI-fglrx-drivers still gone.. no 3D) So I rebooted with the 28-11 kernel and deactivated the madwifi. Then when I rebooted with 28-12, wifi worked perfectly. No 3D graphics but I don't need that anyway.
    I tried this, I tried compiling a driver I used in Intrepid, maybe all that is left is to compile compat-wireless which when I used in Intrepid did not work well - could not hold a steady signal. I really need this Wifi to work -- but it seems the old ath5k driver is now broken by the update trying to install MADWIFI

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tomszyszko View Post
    I tried this, I tried compiling a driver I used in Intrepid, maybe all that is left is to compile compat-wireless which when I used in Intrepid did not work well - could not hold a steady signal. I really need this Wifi to work -- but it seems the old ath5k driver is now broken by the update trying to install MADWIFI
    I now have a feeling that the actual Wireless support in the new kernel is broken, as I have been able to get Madwifi to recognise the card and configure it, but when you scan there are no networks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thanks pastalavista !!! I booted with the 11 kernel, deactivated the proprietary wifi driver and then rebooted with the 12 kernel: the wifi is now working perfectly without proprietary drivers.

Fujitsu laptop with intels cpu and graphic card + atheros wifi driver
    Last edited by nexx; May 7th, 2009 at 08:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tomszyszko View Post
    I now have a feeling that the actual Wireless support in the new kernel is broken, as I have been able to get Madwifi to recognise the card and configure it, but when you scan there are no networks.
    FIXED! After removing madwifi, I used a madwifi unload script to remove all traces of any previous wifi drivers -- booted back into .12 kernel, and opened terminal-- and typed
    Code:
    $sudo modprobe ath5k
    Wait 30 seconds and network manager will kick in saying your connected!!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Tyson Edwards View Post
    Same issue over here, this time on 2 laptops.

Common thread is x86_64.

One is Atheros, one is Broadcom.
    I have the same problem on Jaunty 2.6.28-12-generic and i had to reboot on 2.6.28-11-generic, on my Lenovo Thinkpad T61

Beans

I have been having the same problem with my jaunty installation. My solution, was to build the latest upstream kernel with kernelcheck. Dead simple, and I just had to make sure I enabled the necessary items for nvidia and for my wireless (broadcom). For me, its the best option until the devs release the restricted modules package for the 12 kernel.

Beans

I am in the same boat with my laptop, an HP 6720s, having to boot from the earlier kernel. Its most disturbing, this is the sort of thing that leads new users back to windows....they what about all those Dell netbooks with pre-installed Ubuntu....are they immune...and all those the ubuntu derivitives?

Quote Originally Posted by michaeljking View Post
    I am in the same boat with my laptop, an HP 6720s, having to boot from the earlier kernel. Its most disturbing, this is the sort of thing that leads new users back to windows....they what about all those Dell netbooks with pre-installed Ubuntu....are they immune...and all those the ubuntu derivitives?
    The update that's causing this is currently in -proposed. You enable -proposed at your own peril, these packages are meant for testing. I guess most normal users wont enable them, so they avoid the problem and wont lose their wireless.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hmm, similar problem here.

I installed some updates last night, started the machine this morning to find wireless isn't working. *But* the updates didn't change the kernel - my latest installed kernel is "2.6.28-11-generic".

But the timestamp for "/boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-11-generic" has changed, so that might have been updated :-/

On my box, Aptitude has no knowledge of this "-12" kernel that folks are talking about.

Odd...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast