Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ubuntu or linux mint?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

ubuntu or linux mint?

Since I'm still relatively new to ubuntu and want to gradually move away from microsoft windows, I'd like to ask the experts' comments on the main difference between ubuntu and linux mint.

Checking out linux mint's site, I read that it's package base is ubuntu. I didn't really understand the other technical stuff. I use the computer a lot for office programs, and I'm dabbling into multimedia with the aim of getting into it more seriously in the near future. Since I plan to switch from windows, I'd appreciate geting some advice on which to spend time discovering more before making the final switch.

Beans
    Distro

Re: ubuntu or linux mint?

I tried Mint, but I really didn't like it. Came back to Ubuntu.
    Don
    Looks fine to me but then I don't know/care what you run

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

either Ubuntu or Mint will be fine. its pretty much like the difference between coke and pepsi

since you mentioned using office related programs, you should see if there are linux equivalents of the software, or if you can run the windows app in wine if you have to.

You can boot off of the liveCD and play around in linux to get comfortable with it before diving in and installing it if you like

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I haven't tried it. I considered it, but decided against it.

Mint comes in a version with a wide range of Multimedia codecs already installed.

They also use a customized version of Grub - that was one of the things that made me decide against it. I don' need no steenkin' Grub wars on my PC. <G>
    BootInfoScript - Thanks, meierfra & caljohnsmith

Remastersys - Thanks, Fragadelic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I would personally recommend just installing Ubuntu and installing codecs and stuff as you need them. It's not like Mint comes with anything you have to go to great lengths to get. It'll be a lot easier for us to help you if you're using normal Ubuntu.
    The Windows/Linux/OS X holy wars are pointless. Use what you like. It's just an operating system on a computer. Seriously.

Beans
    Distro

Mint is basically a modified version of Ubuntu , pre-customized if you will.
    The man already installed flash and java and all restricted extra's (DVD regional playback for example) Modified the menu which I personally hate and some performance tweaks , Mint does in fact run well on older hardware but it's not any uber performance enhancements that I can tell , But I'm not one of the best Java programmers either as Clem is.

I guess you could use Mint for a jump start to see what it's capable of and when you get interested in doing your own set up you can jump back over to big brown.
    "The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice."
    -Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mikezila View Post
    I would personally recommend just installing Ubuntu and installing codecs and stuff as you need them. It's not like Mint comes with anything you have to go to great lengths to get. It'll be a lot easier for us to help you if you're using normal Ubuntu.
    Yes, I've been finding out how helpful and quick the ubuntu forums are and I'm really liking the community. This is an important consideration for me. I have yet to check out the one of mint.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I also tried Mint and got rid of it pretty quickly... They are usually slacking behind Ubuntu because they wait for the release then build off it but I mean I just seem to like Ubuntu as is then customize Ubuntu to how you want it.
    Current Ubuntu Version: Ubuntu 18.04 X64
    Ubuntu User for 10+ Years...
    Phone: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 on Android O

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mafaldaspeaks View Post
    Yes, I've been finding out how helpful and quick the ubuntu forums are and I'm really liking the community. This is an important consideration for me. I have yet to check out the one of mint.
    There's no better community on the Internet, period. and I think it is literally the most active Linux community there is. Many many people talk about coming back just for these people here that your talking to now.
    "The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice."
    -Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by sx66gns View Post
    There's no better community on the Internet, period. and I think it is literally the most active Linux community there is. Many many people talk about coming back just for these people here that your talking to now.
    Indeed
    Current Ubuntu Version: Ubuntu 18.04 X64
    Ubuntu User for 10+ Years...
    Phone: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 on Android O

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast