Thread: Learning Multiple Languages

Beans

Learning Multiple Languages

Is it frowned upon to learn to program two languages at the same time? ATM, Im reading a Python Ebook. It gets kind of boring at points, and I wanted to know if it would be confusing to learn another language along-side it, from your experiences..? I was thinking Java or Ruby.

Beans

Re: Learning Multiple Languages

No, it is encouraged. Diversity in programming languages is a good thing; no one language fits all jobs, and incorporating concepts (and paradigms) across different languages will make you a better programmer.

Beans

is there not the danger that as soon as you get to a difficult section, youll move on to the next language, without actually learning anything?

i suppose its down to you, i personally would find it confusing tho
    Check out my little app. Tnote

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Don't go past 2 though. You'll start having dreams about programming...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by benj1 View Post
    is there not the danger that as soon as you get to a difficult section, youll move on to the next language, without actually learning anything?

i suppose its down to you, i personally would find it confusing tho
    When I was learning C, I did exactly this when I got to pointers. I was like "memory stuff, who cares how the computer works anyway, there's this cool language called Perl/Python/Java/Ruby/Javascript/Pascal/Delphi/Basic... that takes care of all that for me..."

So I'd go off, learn a little bit of those languages, decide I hated them (except for Javascript, I actually knew that before I knew C) then return to C, look at pointers again...eventually it clicked.

This is probably a good thing; it's better than becoming discouraged and giving up programming altogether.

Beans

#
    Last edited by regomodo; January 23rd, 2010 at 09:01 PM.
    Is this for enhancing your E-peen?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jubward View Post
    Don't go past 2 though. You'll start having dreams about programming...
    I'm focusing on just one and I still have that problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I'm learning C++ right now, and I'm reading a large textbook-like book about it. So far, I've learned everything up to classes; all that is left are 4 chapters on the STL, additional input/output techniques, and a few other things. After I'm finished with the book, my next steps are learning more about the STL and then learning individual libraries like Qt.

In the meantime, I also started reading the on-line version of the Real World Haskell book. It would probably be expected that because Haskell and C++ are nearly opposite languages (functional vs. imperative) it would be difficult to learn both at the same time; however, I have actually found that because the two are so different in both syntax and theory, it is easy for me to keep what I've learned about the two separate, and I have done well with both languages.

Beans

i find it really hard to learn a new language unless i can find a minimal project i can use it for.

like while learning python, i made a list of automated stuffs that would help me in day-to-day tasks, and then jumped in. that kinda keeps you motivated to learn the language inside out, since you are solving an actual problem.

once thats done, go deeper into the language to find if you could improve it or make it efficient or whatever, and also to get a bigger picture of other areas you could apply that knowledge to.

imo, the above is effective only if you know the programming basics already, otherwise, you need to understand programming before trying to solve anything.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I agree, learning alot of language will make you a "Know it All - Master of NONE"

And there is a diffirence between knowing the language and mastering the language. Generally I advice learning new languages and new techniques.

But in practice you will rarely need to use more than one language. In the end it is a matter of choice alot more than a "MUST DO".