Thread: dell mini 9 w/ 9.04 recently installed

Beans

dell mini 9 w/ 9.04 recently installed

after installing 9.04 from a usbdrive and installing updates. i now have no panels... what should i do? i can right click and options show up but i cannot run anything.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: dell mini 9 w/ 9.04 recently installed

Hi!

I can't help you, but my 9.04 clean installation was flawless.

I'm curious to hear from the group what might have happened.

KegHead

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Did you install the Netbook Remix or the standard desktop Ubuntu (or possibly Xubuntu, or used XFCE+NBR)?

Was the desktop correct to start with?

Have you enabled any unusual repositories?

My panel misbehaves occasionally (see my post elsewhere), but the Gnome panels don't generally disappear.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to gain access to a text console (your screen will turn black with a prompt in white text, and if not running from the CD you may be asked to login).

Code:
    sudo rm -rf ~/.gconf .gconfd .gnome2
    Press Ctrl+Alt+F7 (to return to the graphical interface).

Restart X by logging out and back in, or typing sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart.

You're settings are going to be restored to the default ones. This seems to be an issue with the desktop-switcher.

I built the new settings for ume-config-netbook from bazaar trunk and that did seem to reconcile issues.

I am using the default GNOME desktop without the bottom panel and the winoow-picker applet. This makes very good use of the real estate on my Dell Vostro A90 and allows me to use Compiz. Compiz and the netbook-launcher are not playing well together at the moment.
    Dell XPS m1530 / nVidia 8400 GS / Broadcom 4328 Wireless / 10.10 (64 bit) / 2.6.35.22-generic /
    HP DV6-2170US / Intel HD Graphics / i5 Core Processor / Broadcom Wireless 43225 / 11.04 (64 bit) / 2.6.37-11-generic