Thread: ubuntu for hp dv2845se

Beans

ubuntu for hp dv2845se

i'm thinking about putting kubuntu on my hp dv2835se instead of vista. i've been having lots of problems with vista and xp is not working much better as lots of the drivers don't work for this particular model. is kubuntu a good solution to this problem? does kubuntu offer all the drivers available?

here are some of the specs for the laptop:

Processor
    AMD Turion 64 X2 mobile technology TL-62 / 2.1 GHz
    Multi-Core processor technology
    Dual-Core
    64-bit processor
    Yes
    Data bus speed
    800 MHz

Cache Memory

Type
    L2 cache
    Cache size
    1 MB

RAM

Installed Size
    4 GB / 4 GB (max)
    Technology
    DDR II SDRAM
    RAM form factor
    SO DIMM 200-pin
    RAM configuration features
    2 x 2 GB

Storage Controller

Storage controller type
    Serial ATA
    Storage Controller / Serial ATA Interface
    Serial ATA-150

Storage

Floppy Drive
    None
    Hard Drive
    250 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 5400 rpm
    Storage Removable
    None
    Hard drive type
    Portable

Optical Storage

Type
    DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM
    Disc Labeling Technology
    LightScribe Technology

Optical Storage (2nd)

2nd optical storage type
    None

Card Reader

Card reader type
    5 in 1 card reader
    Supported flash memory cards
    Memory Stick, MultiMediaCard, SD Memory Card, XD-Picture Card, Memory Stick Pro

Display

Display Type
    14.1 in TFT active matrix
    Max Resolution
    1280 x 800 ( WXGA )
    Widescreen Display
    Yes
    Features
    BrightView

Video

Graphics Processor / Vendor
    NVIDIA GeForce 7150M Shared video memory (UMA)
    Total Available Graphics Memory
    1071 MB

Audio

Audio output type
    Sound card
    Audio Output Features
    Altec Lansing speakers
    Audio Input
    Microphone

Notebook Camera

Camera Type
    Integrated

Multimedia Functionality

TV Tuner Type
    None

Input Device(s)

Input device type
    Keyboard, Touchpad, QuickPlay

Telecom

Modem
    Fax / modem
    Max transfer rate
    56 Kbps

Networking

Networking
    Network adapter
    Networking / Wireless LAN Supported
    Yes
    Data link protocol
    Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, Fast Ethernet
    Networking standards
    IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g

Expansion / Connectivity

Expansion Slots Total (Free)
    2 ( 0 ) x Memory - SO DIMM 200-pin, 1 ( 1 ) x ExpressCard/54
    Interfaces
    3 x Hi-Speed USB - 4 pin USB Type A, 2 x Headphones - Output - Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm, 1 x Microphone - Input - Mini-phone 3.5 mm, 1 x Display / video - VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15), 1 x Display / video - S-video output, 1 x Modem - Phone line - RJ-11, 1 x Network - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX - RJ-45, 1 x Docking / port replicator, 1 x IEEE 1394 (FireWire) - 4 pin FireWire, 1 x Remote control - Infrared

Miscellaneous

Included Accessories
    Remote control

Power

Power device form factor
    External

Operating System / Software

OS Provided
    Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit Edition

any help or advice that you can give me about the pros and cons of this system will be greatly appreciated! thanks!

Beans

Re: ubuntu for hp dv2845se

Can you provide more info about your wifi adapter ?

For everything else it should work.

Beans

network interface: Integrated 10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)

and the network adapter is broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN

from what i've been reading it seems this model has some problems with wifi and video resolution. have those problems been fixed or were they more of case by case situations?

also is there any specific site that might have a majority of the drivers or should i just look for them individually? thanks again for all the help!

Beans

I found on this page (emphasis mine):
    Good computer for those who do their work mostly on the internet or for doing bills, etc. Not good for gamers. Freezes during game play. Volume driver bad, so volume must be raised and lowered through windows and not on the actual hardware. This is also a common complaint on forums throughout the internet although HP customer service swears they've never heard of this. Gets warm, but not hot. Good on power, nicer design than many HPs. Holds a lot of data and works well. Came with Vista, but it didn't run well on Vista, now running on Ubuntu and it works great. I suggest Ubuntu or another Linux based system with this and really any laptop that HP has released with Vista.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_rob313 View Post
    also is there any specific site that might have a majority of the drivers or should i just look for them individually? thanks again for all the help!
    This should work "out of the box", however you may get issues with the wifi. According the above review it works (although it didn't mention wifi). For my experience I never had too much trouble with HP dvXXXX (once was broadcom 43xx (used this method) and once it was a 802.11b/g/n wlan which didn't work with hardy but was successful with intrepid).

Beans

yeah i decided to go with a kubuntu/windows xp dual boot. it seems like everythings fine now and most everything in kubuntu worked out of the box like you said.

i haven't looked too deeply into it to see if my wireless card is working since i've been more focused on learning how to install linux drivers in the first place.

i've been reading and found an app called Gdebi that supposedly works something like Windows Install Wizard. is this a good program to use and if not do you have any other options?

Beans

i'm trying to install the broadcom driver right now, but its asking me to download firmware. is this going to conflict with my xp firmware? will i only be able to run the internet on one of the os?

Beans

i've been reading and found an app called Gdebi that supposedly works something like Windows Install Wizard. is this a good program to use and if not do you have any other options?
    Gdebi is just a front-end for debian packages, the base packaging system for Ubuntu. You can install applications from "Synaptic Package Manager" or "Add/Remove..." or download .deb files which are installed to the system with Gdebi.

i'm trying to install the broadcom driver right now, but its asking me to download firmware. is this going to conflict with my xp firmware? will i only be able to run the internet on one of the os?
    No, one OS will not interfere with the other.

Beans

The latest ubuntu update had a new broadcom STA driver that 'fixed' my supposedly broken wifi on a DV2310CA.

Statik

Beans

i buy a new Hp compaq cq40-337tu with no OS. i'm gnome desktop user and want to try new experience with KDE desktop. i think to install kubuntu 9.04 on my laptop. all installation process running well, the desktop effect running on best performance.but, i found problem with altec lansing sound driver. i can't hear any sound.

any help or advice for altec lansing solution ?
    thanks,