Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

encode video in hardy

well, here is how i've done that for ubuntu hardy 8.04

dl ffmpeg
    Code:
    sudo apt-get build-dep ffmpeg
    sudo apt-get source ffmpeg
    cd ffmpeg-*
    now my configure line (yes, you need to do it with sudo)
    Code:
    sudo ./configure --enable-gpl --enable-pp --enable-libvorbis --enable-libogg --enable-liba52 --enable-libdts --enable-dc1394 --enable-libgsm --disable-debug --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libfaad --enable-libfaac --enable-xvid --enable-pthreads --enable-shared
    if you are missing some of the libs - just sudo apt-get them (dev versions also)

then
    Code:
    sudo make && sudo make install
    then just create a script like it was said in 1st post I will just quote it now

ipodvidenc Script

And last, but certainly not least, you can create a script for converting your videos to iPod Video format.

Code:
    gedit
    This should pop up a blank document. Now, just copy and paste this code into it:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    ## ipodvidenc - The iPod Video Encoder for Linux.
    ## Created by Eric Hewitt, January 9, 2006.
    ## Released under the GPL.  Go nuts.

input_file=$1

echo "What would you like to name the output file (sans extension)?"

read output_file_name

echo "$output_file_name will be located in $PWD. Is this acceptable? [y/n]"

read output_file_loc_permis

if [ $output_file_loc_permis = 'n' ] || [ $output_file_loc_permis = 'N' ]
    then
    	echo "Where would you like to store $output_file_name.mov?"
    	read output_dir
    else
    	output_dir=$PWD
    fi

ffmpeg -i "${input_file}" -f mp4 -vcodec mpeg4 -maxrate 1000k -b 700k -qmin 3 -qmax 5 -bufsize 4096 -g 300 -acodec aac -ab 192 -s 320x240 -aspect 4:3 "${output_dir}/${output_file_name}.mov"
    Save as ipodvidenc in your present working directory (it will be moved, anyway). Back in the terminal, run:

Code:
    chmod 755 ipodvidenc
    sudo mv ipodvidenc /usr/bin
    Now, when you want to encode a video to iPod format, run this command:

Code:
    ipodvidenc video.avi
    It will run you through a few prompts and then encode the video. You can now use gtkpod to upload the video onto your iPod just like you load mp3's onto it.
    after that you can transfer it and watch. don't be scared if you run it on your ubuntu - it will have color problems (mine had all the video a little to the blue). on the ipod it was ok.

hope this helps you.

Beans

Re: HowTo: Encode Video for iPod Video

Are there any other decent alternatives to ffmpeg? I am using Hardy 64bit.

Beans

Hello, guys!
    There is a much simpler way, though it takes a lot longer.
    If you have a video file in avi, or mpeg formats, you can use Avidemux (sudo apt-get install avidemux) to convert it to the format the iPod understands. It helps a lot if you have the proper codecs (w32codecs and all...) to do that.

First of all, open Avidemux. It is found in your Sound And Video (or whatever is the name in english - I'm a brazilian Ubuntu user ) menu entry. Then, open the desired file. It may ask you a few questions, like "Rebuild time frame?" and/or "create index?" and many others. Just click "yes", it will help in the final quality of the (re)encoded media.

After that, click on the "Auto" menu, select "IPOD (mpeg4)". A dialog box will popup. If you want, you can change some settings or just leave them be. Click ok.

On the left panel, set video to "MPEG-4 ASP (Xvid4)" and audio to "AAC (FAAC)". If it is your wish, you may change the audio and video settings by clicking the configure button on the respective options, but it is not necessary. Change the format option to "MP4".

After all this, click the save button, define your target directory, the target file name. I recommend the .mp4 extension, to avoid confusion.

Sit down, grab a cup of coffee, tea, beer or whatever you like, and wait for the little brat to do the dirty job .

Then, finally, if you haven't done it yet, "sudo apt-get install gtkpod-aac easytag-aac".

"Easytag?", one might ask. Yes, the "easytag-aac" package has support for editing mp4/m4a/aac tags! Edit your tags, if you like, put the files into the iPod the usual way with gtkpod, and enjoy!!!

I recommend Ubuntu 8.04 for the newer iPod owners, for there is no need to patch anything to get things working.

I hope this little text helps.

Sorry about the poor english, and see ya!

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi all. This may be very obvious to most but I had to look it up, so for the benefit of newer users, I thought I'd make a note:

Just today I tried to run the ./configure command with the options listed in the original post and got one error.

Unknown option "--enable-pp".
    See ./configure --help for available options.

A quick google search turned up this link, which states that "--enable-pp recently changed to --enable-postproc"

So if anyone else got this error it's a simple change to make.

Also, thank you to endersshadow for creating and maintaining this thread.

Beans

Something's happened to --enable-liba52 too. I keep getting unknown option on that one and a few google searches came up with nothing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by janne_oksanen View Post
    Something's happened to --enable-liba52 too. I keep getting unknown option on that one and a few google searches came up with nothing.
    Search these forums for a thread on how to compile x264 and ffmpeg. Apparently ffmpeg now has its own internal aac and doesn't need the --enable-liba52 anymore.

Beans

those are all windows programs how do they help us linux folk?
    "Blood feeds the war machine as it eats its way across the land." -No Remorse-
    "Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof." -V For Vendetta-
    My Home Page-Free Computer Repair

Beans

Hello all and endersshadow,
    I've been going over everything I can find in google and the forum with getting my ipod to work in Ubuntu. I am using 8.10 now and see that your tutorial was started back in January 2006. I see people are still posting in there as of October 2008. I haven't had time to read through all 70 some pages of the thread. I am working on it, but I was wondering if you could help me out with this. I want to be able to manage my music as well as rip/convert movies to ipod video and put them on my ipod. I have been ripping all my cds to the hard drive using Rhythmbox because my itunes backup of 5000 songs is corrupt...go figure. I ripped a couple DVDs with dvd::rip and converted to H264 with winff. I have gtkpod-aac 0.99.12-1ubuntu-1 installed in synaptic from the multiverse. I cannot get video on my ipod though. There is no video section on the left pane under ipod in gtkpod. I have a thread started here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...73#post6376673 where I was trying to get help. It shows the files installed for gtkpod. At this link https://help.ubuntu.com/community/iP...20iPod%20Video there is a screenshot showing video in the left pane under ipod. I don't have that. I am using a 5th Generation 30GiG Ipod. If you could help I would appreciate it. I really want to stay out of Windows if at all possible. I have been using Ubuntu since 8.04 and have run into alot of issues. I have been doing my best, but I need help on this one.

Best Regards,
    fewjr

Thank You
    fewjr
    Last edited by fewjr; December 16th, 2008 at 03:28 AM. Reason: added ipod gen

Beans

Okay....reading this thread through and got to the part where you announce that its on the wiki, I see that the screenshot I pointed to is the same screenshot I was looking at. Then I looked under the screenshot and there in nice little letters it says:
    Notice I made a playlist just for Video. You don't have to, but it helps organize things. Just click on the Add Files button, select the .mov that you want to transfer to the iPod, and then you're all set.
    Is that all I was doing wrong....jeeesh! What a burnout. Work and 5 daughters...I need a vacation! Well when I get home from work I'll give that a try. I have been reading so many things for so many different issues I'm having with Ubuntu that I guess I just wasn't thinking of something so easy. I'll post if it is working. I tried to use iTunes to put the video I ripped/converted on my Ipod, but it would not let me. I hope gtkpod does.

fewjr

Beans

the easiest way so far!thanks bobandiara,works perfect on me,I am running ubuntu jaunty and my ipod is 30GB capacity,fifth generation

Page 71 of 72 FirstFirst ... 216169707172 LastLast