Page 21 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 711

Thread: HowTo: Encode Video for iPod Video

  1. #201
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Beans
    215
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

    Re: HowTo: Encode Video for iPod Video

    i just set up a ubuntu system for my friends laptop and he has an ipod video, i found your how to post just in time since hes bringing his ipod over tomorrow, thanks for writing the how to, hope it works well for me!
    I have gtkpod installed already but it is not the new 9 version, should i uninstall it before begining the how to procedure?

    Awsome name by the way, the Ender series was awsome! although, I think Ender's game was my favorite book of them all!!

    Nobody's Home

  2. #202
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Dallas
    Beans
    620
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

    Re: HowTo: Encode Video for iPod Video

    Quote Originally Posted by x5452
    i just set up a ubuntu system for my friends laptop and he has an ipod video, i found your how to post just in time since hes bringing his ipod over tomorrow, thanks for writing the how to, hope it works well for me!
    I have gtkpod installed already but it is not the new 9 version, should i uninstall it before begining the how to procedure?

    Awsome name by the way, the Ender series was awsome! although, I think Ender's game was my favorite book of them all!!
    Nope, you don't need to uninstall. The newer version will update it automatically.

    As for Ender...yeah, I think Ender's Game was the best, but my favorite character has always been Bean. But naming yourself Bean just leads to a lot of questions

  3. #203
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Beans
    215
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

    Re: HowTo: Encode Video for iPod Video

    right on, thanks, i hate uninstalling stuff, the last time i did it took my desktop with it, stupid evolution!

    Yeah, I guess bean would get questions here huh? lol they were supposed to make an Ender movie, guess it got scrapped though, too bad. All the other books got too religious for sci-fi anyways

    thanks for your help

    Nobody's Home

  4. #204
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    London
    Beans
    22
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Question Re: HowTo: Encode Video for iPod Video

    With assistance from my mate, we've got ipodvidenc and vive working, Thanks lots for the work!

    However my problem is that i want to encode .mp4 vids on the ubuntu server and then ftp the encoded video to my windows box where i can then use iTunes to chuck them onto my ipod.

    Sadly it falls down at the iTunes -> iPod section, at first it was giving me the "not a video file" error when I was trying to copy it to the iTunes library but then I read back on page 11 something about blank meta data fields so went back to VIVE and entered in info in the "copyright" etc boxes. Then it allowed it to copy to the iTunes library and even play!

    BUT even tho it plays the file fine when I i play the file in iTunes if i try to copy it to the iPod it says it can't

    Really need to be able to do this, any ideas??

  5. #205
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Dallas
    Beans
    620
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

    Re: HowTo: Encode Video for iPod Video

    Quote Originally Posted by riiidaa
    With assistance from my mate, we've got ipodvidenc and vive working, Thanks lots for the work!

    However my problem is that i want to encode .mp4 vids on the ubuntu server and then ftp the encoded video to my windows box where i can then use iTunes to chuck them onto my ipod.

    Sadly it falls down at the iTunes -> iPod section, at first it was giving me the "not a video file" error when I was trying to copy it to the iTunes library but then I read back on page 11 something about blank meta data fields so went back to VIVE and entered in info in the "copyright" etc boxes. Then it allowed it to copy to the iTunes library and even play!

    BUT even tho it plays the file fine when I i play the file in iTunes if i try to copy it to the iPod it says it can't

    Really need to be able to do this, any ideas??
    Make sure that it's named .mov instead of .mp4...it matters, for some reason.

    Also, do you happen to have a 60GB iPod?

    Oh, and if you'd like to do it in Windows, check out Videora if the above doesn't work. It may be quicker.

    And a question: Would a CLI be helpful for Vive?

  6. #206
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    London
    Beans
    22
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: HowTo: Encode Video for iPod Video

    When it was .mov before it didn't wanna know at all but then the extra metadata wasn't there, thanks I shall try that.

    I'm on the 30gb version.

    On windows indeed i have been running Videora, it works well, and outputs .mp4 that i have no sweat in watching / copying over to my pod.

    Reason i wanna do it from ubuntu is that I'm gonna house it in a datacentre, and grab stuff from newsgroups, then keep it on my personal ftp share but also make ipod video versions of the files that i can easily download if i wanna watch a vid at short notice - method in my madness you might say...
    Last edited by riiidaa; April 10th, 2006 at 03:04 PM.

  7. #207
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    London
    Beans
    22
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: HowTo: Encode Video for iPod Video

    Quote Originally Posted by endersshadow
    Make sure that it's named .mov instead of .mp4...it matters, for some reason.
    Renaming to .mov proves fruitless mate, iTunes doesn't allow it to add to library when it's a .mov

    bummer

  8. #208
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Dallas
    Beans
    620
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

    Re: HowTo: Encode Video for iPod Video

    Try encoding it with the container format being h264 instead of mp4 and let me know how it works.

  9. #209
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Beans
    215
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

    Re: HowTo: Encode Video for iPod Video

    ok i have confused myself, i just got my friends ipod video here now. I plugged it in the usb, and it showed up on the desktop, cool? I have an old version of gtkpod installed. I began reading your how to again and got confused, first, i tried downloading the attached ipodvidenc-1.5.tar.gz and it didnt do anything, i click save and it doesnt download? weird. second, at the top of your post it says that "The full install actually also does this whole HowTo for you. I've called it, very unimaginitively, "iPod Video Encoder" or ipodvidenc for short." does that mean there is something to download that will install the gui, new gtkpod and set me up for making videos and sending stuff to the ipod, all at once? if so where is that link?

    Lol, i guess im basically asking where to begin? thanks Bean

    Nobody's Home

  10. #210
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Beans
    215
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

    Re: HowTo: Encode Video for iPod Video

    ok so when im on my computer thats running ubuntu, i go to page one of this post and click the download link of the attached file, and it ask me if i want to save it to disk, i click yes, then the box dissappears, no dowload box shows up, and the file is nowhere to be found. then i was able to download the vive tar file, and i could not follow the read me instruction very well. i unpacked the tar file in my home directiory, i opened up terminal and typed ./configure, it did some stuff and told me to install mp4box, but it did work, it said try wget for two files, i did. then i tried typing make. nothing. make install. nothing, im sure im an idiot, but what do i do?

    Nobody's Home

Page 21 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •