Page 13 of 72 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Encode Video for iPod Video

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Re: HowTo: Encode Video for iPod Video

Quote Originally Posted by endersshadow
    Introducing...VIVE - the cohesive GUI for encoding videos for the iPod Video!!! I've attached a screenshot, and I've updated the main post...it took a lot of work, and my eyes are about to fall out, but it's finally ready for release
    First and foremost, GREAT WORK! You are adding to a much needed cause in the Ubuntu community (our love for iPods).

I'm running Dapper F4, been experimenting and troubleshooting all those little things to help make this the best release yet, however I can't seem to get your guide to work on it. First it doesn't like to compile ffmpeg, and one that comes with Dapper might already have all the needed parts. So I removed the first few lines of your install script to not detect what ffmpeg I have.... proceeded with the installation and apt-get installed anything else that was missing. Finally got it to run, but when I do an encode it seems to just hang trying to read the DVD. Any ideas suggestions. I'm willing to put the time in to debug this thing for Dapper.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by moebis
    First and foremost, GREAT WORK! You are adding to a much needed cause in the Ubuntu community (our love for iPods).

I'm running Dapper F4, been experimenting and troubleshooting all those little things to help make this the best release yet, however I can't seem to get your guide to work on it. First it doesn't like to compile ffmpeg, and one that comes with Dapper might already have all the needed parts. So I removed the first few lines of your install script to not detect what ffmpeg I have.... proceeded with the installation and apt-get installed anything else that was missing. Finally got it to run, but when I do an encode it seems to just hang trying to read the DVD. Any ideas suggestions. I'm willing to put the time in to debug this thing for Dapper.
    Great! I've got two debuggers for Dapper! (Another anonymous buddy will remain so because he screwed up his Xgl/Compiz install on Breezy and was forced to upgrade to Dapper).

Anyway, Vive uses cpdvd to get your DVD results. I wasn't thinking too clearly when I made that part and just made the default /dev folder for the dvd /dev/dvd and the mount points either /cdrom or /dvd and nothing else (poor choice, and it will be fixed in 0.2)...The code starts on line 273 of the program (/usr/bin/vive). Keep in mind I'm learning Perl whilst writing this, so my code may be a bit messy. And I will clean up the install script...I just spent a lot of time getting Vive the program done, the install and the web page were just afterthoughts and I didn't have the time to put into them to make them really good.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

vive looks fantastic, had some little bugs like having to create the .vive directory and copying vive.xbm to /usr/share? But after mucking around for two days with various other options and not even getting dvdrip to do anything, vive is a godsend!

quick question, when taking a copy of a DVD do you have to do each 'title' seperately. I've got a dvd that shows 4 titles so I started four copies of vive one for each title. but playing back the partial files they look and sound the same.

Am I being really stupid here?
    Last edited by marks_linux; February 27th, 2006 at 11:12 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

i have a question about vive does the encoding bypass the bug from video ipod version 1.1 firmware where the sound drops out?

Beans

Hi,

Vive looks great! Thanks a huge bunch!!

I eventually installed it also bypassing the check for ffmpeg, as another person did. Could I also request another feature? As I did not see it as an option as original iPod Video Encoder have? That is to have the option to keep the vob file that vobcopy'd saved. I am "dreaming" about building my media PC using ubuntu, and I would like to used the resulting vob files to become my DVD "collections".

As to the ipod, while palying video, pauses and resumes without audio issue, it is a known bug, for firmware 1.1 on 60Gig iPod Video only. A more comprehensive discussion and only solution can be seen here at ipodlounge:
    http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread...hreadid=143446

Thanks again.

Vincent

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by marks_linux
    vive looks fantastic, had some little bugs like having to create the .vive directory and copying vive.xbm to /usr/share? But after mucking around for two days with various other options and not even getting dvdrip to do anything, vive is a godsend!

quick question, when taking a copy of a DVD do you have to do each 'title' seperately. I've got a dvd that shows 4 titles so I started four copies of vive one for each title. but playing back the partial files they look and sound the same.

Am I being really stupid here?
    As per the install script, this was the sequence of events last night in my head:

"HOLY CRAP!!! IT WORKS!!!!"
    ...30 seconds later...
    "Hmmm...crap...need an install script..."
    ...30 seconds later...
    "Okay, need to improve the web site..."
    ...30 seconds later...
    "Time to tell everyone!"
    ...30 seconds later...
    "Bed!"

As you can tell, I did not spend a ton of time on either the install script nor the web site--something I fully plan to rectify in the coming versions.

As per the DVD titles, I'm not sure what you're doing, but, in theory, that should work. Let me explain a bit about the way that DVD's are interpretted just as a general FYI...DVD's contain a variety of titles which lead to certain content, say the actual movie, or perhaps a menu, or even a bonus feature (like outtakes, or games, etc.). Inside titles are chapters which break it up into sections. So, for example, I have a copy of Tommy Boy (the greatest movie ever, not up for debate), and it has 13 or so titles. However, title #1 is the actual movie, the other 12 are just extra stuff. Generally, the one you want will be the longest one. Inside that title are like 30 chapters, but vobcopy ignores chapters and just copies the entire title. Mayhaps I'll bug the guy who's behind vobcopy and we'll work together on getting chapters integrated...he may be getting some more demand if Vive picks up in popularity. At any rate, I'm not sure if that spiel helped...but maybe you have a better understanding of what the program does!

Quote Originally Posted by chronusdark
    i have a question about vive does the encoding bypass the bug from video ipod version 1.1 firmware where the sound drops out?
    As Vincent said, this is a bug with Apple's firmware. Otherwise known as: Not my fault, but I do blame Steve Jobs, or "NMFBIDBSJ". Okay, made that last thing up, but downgrade to firmware 1.0 and the problem will be gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent_Lin
    I eventually installed it also bypassing the check for ffmpeg, as another person did. Could I also request another feature? As I did not see it as an option as original iPod Video Encoder have? That is to have the option to keep the vob file that vobcopy'd saved. I am "dreaming" about building my media PC using ubuntu, and I would like to used the resulting vob files to become my DVD "collections".
    Fantastic suggestion and that will be included in v0.1.1, I guarantee you. Sorry for leaving it out!

(BTW, ipodvidenc and vive use the same programs for a backend, so I've sped nothing up, just condensed it all into one GUI )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

line #146 had to be changed, it was:
    if make then;

I changed to:
    if make; then

and all is good

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by endersshadow
    As Vincent said, this is a bug with Apple's firmware. Otherwise known as: Not my fault, but I do blame Steve Jobs, or "NMFBIDBSJ". Okay, made that last thing up, but downgrade to firmware 1.0 and the problem will be gone.
    i hate to change the subject but is there any way to do this without a windows box?

i kinda feel like im being punished for being brave and going all out linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by chronusdark
    i hate to change the subject but is there any way to do this without a windows box?

i kinda feel like im being punished for being brave and going all out linux.
    The only thing I could find on it was this:

http://armin.emx.at/ipod/update_howto.html

I'll bring this issue up w/ some of the devels of the community that are working together to make the iPod fully available on Linux, and this will definitely be on the to-do list.

Beans

The firmware 1.1 problem

It shouldn't be necessary. isquid and I think one other ffmpeg based converter have both released fixes for the 1.1 firmware issue. I guess, the linux community will be there shortly too. Personally, I don't know ffmpeg well enough to know what they did to work around this issue, but I read somewhere that gpac can also work around it by remuxing files.

I hope someone who actually knows what they're doing adds their two cents, as I'm not really a programmer or anything of that sort.

Page 13 of 72 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast