Thread: growing samba log file

Beans

growing samba log file

Hello all,

Every few weeks, my server comes to a hault because the disk gets full of a single samba log file, which exceeds several gigabytes.

Before continuing my story, I should mention that in smb.conf I have set the option for the log file size to 1000 (I think this corresponds to 1 MB).

Yesterday, I was lucky to notice this behavior while I was logged in to my server through ssh. I was issuing df -h and indeed the root directory was starting to add several GBs. I thought I could prevent the full disk problem by simply deleting all samba log files, but to my surprise the / directory kept growing in size, although the few log files that appeared in the clean /var/log/samba directory seemed to have zero size. The only solution was to reboot the server. Before rebooting, the / directory was full at 80%, but after rebooting it returned to its normal 26%.

I run Ubuntu 8.04 LTS 64bit, on an Athlon x2 CPU with 8 gigs of RAM.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Panos

Beans

Re: growing samba log file

A gentle bump

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Panos View Post
    Hello all,

Every few weeks, my server comes to a hault because the disk gets full of a single samba log file, which exceeds several gigabytes.
    What file specifically are you referring to? What is in it?

Before continuing my story, I should mention that in smb.conf I have set the option for the log file size to 1000 (I think this corresponds to 1 MB).
    Yes 1000 KB is a 1 MB.

Yesterday, I was lucky to notice this behavior while I was logged in to my server through ssh. I was issuing df -h and indeed the root directory was starting to add several GBs. I thought I could prevent the full disk problem by simply deleting all samba log files, but to my surprise the / directory kept growing in size, although the few log files that appeared in the clean /var/log/samba directory seemed to have zero size.
    Must be something else. Maybe a /tmp file?
    The only solution was to reboot the server. Before rebooting, the / directory was full at 80%, but after rebooting it returned to its normal 26%.
    This sure sounds like a /tmp file that is not being regularly deleted via a cron script. All /tmp files are normally deleted on a reboot.

I run Ubuntu 8.04 LTS 64bit, on an Athlon x2 CPU with 8 gigs of RAM.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Panos

Beans

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by capscrew View Post
    What file specifically are you referring to? What is in it?
    It's a regular log file from my windows machine (log.pc_name). Under normal circumstances, the file doesn't contain anything suspicious, just normal event logs. However, I haven't managed to examine it when the problem occurs to see what gets logged.

Yes 1000 KB is a 1 MB.
    LOL, I know. I wasn't sure if 1000 refers to bytes or kilobytes and obviously I didn't make it clear

Must be something else. Maybe a /tmp file?
    This sure sounds like a /tmp file that is not being regularly deleted via a cron script. All /tmp files are normally deleted on a reboot.
    As long as I can remember I was also checking the /tmp directory for growing files when the problem occured, but didn't notice any huge files.

I have had this problem since I set up my server a year ago but couldn't find any solution. I found a few posts in google that were mentioning that this may occur due to a kernel bug but couldn't find further info (but then again, I have upgraded my kernel a few times so I suppose that it would have been fixed).

Anyway, thanks for your reply.