Thread: How To Dispel Network Manager Password Requests for Keyring?

Beans

How To Dispel Network Manager Password Requests for Keyring?

Hi folks,

My brother has just installed Ubuntu Jaunty XFCE spin onto his Acer Aspire One laptop and all appears to be working well, however Network Manager asks for the gnome-keyring password in order to connect to his wireless network.

For his needs, this is a bit overkill and we'd like to turn it off - I've seen some dirty hacks that involve keeping passwords stored in unencrypted text files and this isn't really what i'd call a solution (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...libpam-keyring).

I'm thinking maybe the libpam-gnome-keyring package from the repos but i'm not entirely sure how to configure it. Being on the other end of a telephone line from my brother makes it a bit more difficult - can anyone perhaps offer some help for resolving this please?

Interestingly i have no such issues running an XFCE 4.4 session in Intrepid, yet Kubuntu 9.04 asks for my keyring password to connect to my wireless (which I'm fine with). Was this a new inclusion for Jaunty or is it to do with XFCE 4.6?

Thanks.

Beans

Re: How To Dispel Network Manager Password Requests for Keyring?

If it helps anyone, this has been resolved. Turns out that the machine was set to autologin. Changing this resolved the issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: How To Dispel Network Manager Password Requests for Keyring?

Quote Originally Posted by Andysan View Post
    If it helps anyone, this has been resolved. Turns out that the machine was set to autologin. Changing this resolved the issue.
    Pretty poor solution however.
    Insert a very forum friendly signature here.