Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Install and Use OGRE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: HowTo: Install and Use OGRE

The reason I wanted to build devil from source was because the config summary from the ogre compilation read:

Use Devil No

And since devil is listed as a dependency for ogre I just thought I could have issues later on with my projects if I didn't get it right from the beginning.

When I built CEGUI I forgot that your post also had directions for it. But I built CEGUI without issues anyway (without SILLY and CEGUILayerEditor though) and the ogre auto config did detect CEGUI.

Now, do you remember if your config summary (just bebore typing make) had the option "Use Devil" enabled?. Do you think that by rebuilding CEGUI, with the dependencies you mentioned, I could get Devil detected?

Yeah, I might try QuickGui later on.

Beans
    Distro

Sorry, I don't remember if Use Devil was enabled, and the computer running the virtual machine I used to write this tutorial on has a fried motherboard. If I recall correctly from earlier installations, Ogre would not even build without devil installed, so it might be using it in some way even if configure didn't recognize it. You may want to try posting on the Ogre forums about this or trying the 1.7.0 trunk; they're switching to CMake so the dependency finding code will have been completely re-written and will hopefully work better.

Beans
    Distro

Yes, I might give it a try to the latest trunk. Although, on a second thought, I'll better start playing with Ogre first and try to build the latest trunk only if I find an issue.

Again, thanks for the post, it was very valuable to me.

Beans

I am trying to install ogre on ubuntu 9.04
    I followed your tutorial but I am getting the following error
    thanks for your help in advance

gaurav@gaurav-desktop:~/ogre$ make
    Making all in OgreMain
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/gaurav/ogre/OgreMain'
    Making all in src
    make[2]: Entering directory `/home/gaurav/ogre/OgreMain/src'
    /bin/bash ../../libtool --tag=CXX --mode=compile g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../../OgreMain/include -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I../../OgreMain/include -DOGRE_NONCLIENT_BUILD -DOGRE_GUI_GLX -fvisibility=hidden -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -DOGRE_GCC_VISIBILITY -I../../OgreMain/src/nedmalloc -g -O2 -MT OgreBillboardParticleRenderer.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/OgreBillboardParticleRenderer.Tpo -c -o OgreBillboardParticleRenderer.lo OgreBillboardParticleRenderer.cpp
    libtool: compile: g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../../OgreMain/include -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I../../OgreMain/include -DOGRE_NONCLIENT_BUILD -DOGRE_GUI_GLX -fvisibility=hidden -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -DOGRE_GCC_VISIBILITY -I../../OgreMain/src/nedmalloc -g -O2 -MT OgreBillboardParticleRenderer.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/OgreBillboardParticleRenderer.Tpo -c OgreBillboardParticleRenderer.cpp -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/OgreBillboardParticleRenderer.o
    OgreBillboardParticleRenderer.cpp:489: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
    Please submit a full bug report,
    with preprocessed source if appropriate.
    See <file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-4.3/README.Bugs> for instructions.
    make[2]: *** [OgreBillboardParticleRenderer.lo] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/gaurav/ogre/OgreMain/src'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/gaurav/ogre/OgreMain'
    make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Beans

I followed you advice on Ubuntu 9.04 but I am getting the error on make.If you can help..
    thanks for your help in advance
    --------=== Configuration summary ===--------
    Target platform : GLX
    OpenGL Ogre support : GLX
    GUI library to use : Xt
    Use double precision arithmetic : no
    Support for threading : no
    Memory allocator : ned
    Use STLport : no
    Use FreeType : yes
    Use FreeImage : yes
    Use DevIL : no
    Build OGRE demos : yes
    Build CEGUI demos : false
    Build the OpenEXR plugin : no
    Build the Cg plugin : yes
    Build the DirectX 9 plugin : no
    --------===============================--------
    make result:-
    OgreBillboardParticleRenderer.cpp:489: internal compiler error: in verify_marks_clear, at dwarf2out.c:14909
    Please submit a full bug report,
    with preprocessed source if appropriate.
    See <file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-4.3/README.Bugs> for instructions.
    make[2]: *** [OgreBillboardParticleRenderer.lo] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/gaurav/ogre/OgreMain/src'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/gaurav/ogre/OgreMain'
    make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Beans
    Distro

I just replied to your personal message, but in case anyone else encounters this extremely strange error, it's more likely to be a compiler error than an Ogre one, but I would still check the Ogre forums just to make sure.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy)

This is my first shot at OGRE. At first, I installed it from the repos but had a hell of a time trying to run the first tutorial program. I had problems compiling it, and even after getting it to compile, I had runtime errors -- as soon as I fixed one another popped up. The binary packages don't include the OGRE sample programs, and even after downloading the sample programs from svn and taking the headers and .cfg files that the tutorials need, I still couldn't get the tutorial programs to run. I figured it would be easier and quicker to build the svn source than to try to sort out the directory structures to be able to run the tutorials. (All this occurred before I found your excellent HowTo.)

But before I had decided to build OGRE, I happened to notice Andrew Fenn's PPA which has updated packages for cegui, cegui-layout-editor, nvidia-cg-toolkit, ois and silly, so I installed those from his archive rather than building them. (He also has an updated build of OGRE, but it seems to have the same limitations regarding the tutorials as the official Ubuntu version. I guess it's fine for experienced users but not much help for novices.)

I installed all the other dependencies as listed in your HowTo from my regular Synaptic sources. I'm using Synaptic rather than apt-get just to have the convenient history available as a guide if (when) I want to uninstall any or all of these packages. The only significant difference is that I already had cegui installed before building OGRE, so when I ran OGRE's configure script, it enabled the cegui demos.

Regarding DevIL: It doesn't seem to matter whether DevIL is built from source or installed from repos. It's not that configure can't find DevIL; it seems that if it finds Freeimage, it uses that instead of DevIL. I found this in configure's output:
    configure: Freeimage is being built, disabling check for DevIL.

My machine is older and slower than yours, so the build has been running for over an hour and no end in sight... I'll update this after I see how it turns out.

One question though:
    You said that the build directory for OGRE has to be kept permanently, but you didn't say why. So I'm wondering, why?

Beans
    Distro

The reason I'd recommended keeping the build directory around is because people will often link to the sample app header or media files with a lot of their early applications, and be extremely confused about where to find those if they've deleted them. That, and the examples are really nice to have around. Once you've gotten to the point of a completely standalone app, though, you don't need to keep it around if you don't want to.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

As it turned out, my build eventually bombed -- near the end, while compiling something in Samples/Common/CEGUIRenderer there was an error about a "conflicting return type specified for ‘virtual CEGUI::Texture* CEGUI::OgreCEGUIRenderer::createTexture()’" yadda yadda yadda...
    so I decided I must have some sort of incompatibility between versions of programs. I uninstalled the binary packages of SILLY and all of the CEGUI components (but retained the ois and nvidia-cg-toolkit binaries), downloaded tarballs (NOT the latest ones) of SILLY and CEGUI and built them, and then rebuilt OGRE and it completed successfully.

So, what ultimately succeeded for me was the latest source from the subversion v1-6 branch, along with the tarballs of CEGUI-0.6.2, CELayoutEditor-0.6.2 and CEImagesetEditor-0.6.2 and SILLY-0.1.0. All other dependencies came from the official Ubuntu Hardy (8.04) repos, except for ois and nvidia-cg-toolkit which are more recent binaries from Andrew Fenn's PPA.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Well, after all that, although I did successfully build OGRE and CEGUI (and QuickGUI as well), exactly the same error occurred with the newly built libs as did with the Ubuntu binaries 24 hours ago. When I tried to run the initial code in Basic Tutorial 1, it immediately exited the program with this error ...
    Code:
    An exception has occurred: OGRE EXCEPTION(6:FileNotFoundException): 'resources.cfg' file not 
    found! in ConfigFile::load at OgreConfigFile.cpp (line 84)
    *-*-* OGRE Shutdown
    ... and that is also exactly what happened when I ran the SampleApp code in CodeBlocks' ogre project (after fixing up the Project Properties). The missing final step needed to successfully run the sample code is that there must be a 'resources.cfg' file in the project root directory containing the following:
    Code:
    # Resource locations to be added to the 'boostrap' path
    # This assumes that the entire Samples/Media directory from the OGRE source
    #  has been copied to the project root directory.
    # This also contains the minimum you need to use the Ogre example framework
    [Bootstrap]
    Zip=Media/packs/OgreCore.zip

# Resource locations to be added to the default path
    [General]
    FileSystem=Media
    FileSystem=Media/fonts
    FileSystem=Media/materials/programs
    FileSystem=Media/materials/scripts
    FileSystem=Media/materials/textures
    FileSystem=Media/models
    FileSystem=Media/overlays
    FileSystem=Media/particle
    FileSystem=Media/gui
    FileSystem=Media/DeferredShadingMedia
    FileSystem=Media/PCZAppMedia
    Zip=Media/packs/cubemap.zip
    Zip=Media/packs/cubemapsJS.zip
    Zip=Media/packs/dragon.zip
    Zip=Media/packs/fresneldemo.zip
    Zip=Media/packs/ogretestmap.zip
    Zip=Media/packs/skybox.zip
    (I just took the resources.cfg file from Samples/Common/bin and edited the paths.)
    Now, the sample code actually runs! It would probably be helpful to the next new user if you would edit your Post #1 to include this resources.cfg file in your Step 5 ("Creating an Ogre Project").

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast