Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audacity Records for Half a Second then Stops Recording

Beans

Audacity Records for Half a Second then Stops Recording

I recently upgraded to Jaunty 9.04, and Audacity records for a bit less than one half of a second and then the recording of sound stops although the cursor in the recording window continues to move normally. The bars in the Input Level Meter continue to bounce with my voice the entire time, but I only get the one half second of waveform graph in the recording window.

When I listen to the playback, the half a second audio is just fine, and then it just stops, although the playback of nothing continues for the duration of the file.

Audacity is version 1.3.7, I completely un-installed it and re-installed it. I totally deleted the .audacity-mylogin and .audacity-data files in my home directory and started over. Audacity reports that "Disk space remains for recording 193 hours."

My machine is a Dell Optiplex GX620 with which I have used Audacity with older versions of Ubuntu in the past. My microphone is a USB WebCam; I tried a different USB microphone and had the same problem.

Totem plays audio and video just fine, VLC works perfectly, and I use the microphone with Skype and it works great. (Of course, I kill ALL applications that use the microphone or audio BEFORE I start Audacity.)

If you have any ideas, I would be most grateful.

Beans

Re: Audacity Records for Half a Second then Stops Recording

I'm getting this same problem.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...stops.-723221/

The above link claims setting the defualt bit rate to 48000 Hz has solved the problem. I've tried doing so, with no effect. Anyone here using ALSA+Audacity with jaunty?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by davidsmind View Post
    I'm getting this same problem.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...stops.-723221/

The above link claims setting the defualt bit rate to 48000 Hz has solved the problem. I've tried doing so, with no effect. Anyone here using ALSA+Audacity with jaunty?
    I am it worked fine with my Quickcam pro 9000 on 8.10 but no ton 9.04

Beans

Setting the Default Sample Rate to 48000 did not help me, but setting it to 16000 made it work just fine. None of the other Rates work, ONLY 16000.

Very odd; Audacity worked fine on this machine on previous versions of Ubuntu.

Beans

I have the same problem on one of two machines. 48000 works for me on the problem machine.

Beans

I had this problem on Xubuntu 9.04 and fiddled around with the Audio I/O settings. A have an Intel chipset for sound and I found it worked when, by trial and error, I set Device: ALSA: Intel 82801DB-ICH4 and then selected mic:0 from the dropdown on the main interface.

These options will be different for other systems but my experience suggests that trying all different combinations of recording device settings may help.

I am happy now as I never managed to get it to work on 8.04.

Beans

.. and it failed again next time I rebooted. I did find that deleting audacity.cfg in the .audacity folder then restarting audacity sorted the problem though. A drag if you have to do this every time though.

Beans

Me again. After repeated failures I purged audacity 1.37
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge audacity
    and installed version 1.35 from http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ which works fine.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by johnleonard View Post
    Me again. After repeated failures I purged audacity 1.37
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge audacity
    and installed version 1.35 from http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ which works fine.
    I'm resurrecting this thread to ask how to compile Audacity 1.2.6 from the sources on the audacity page?

I'm on Jaunty and get exactly the behaviour described by the OP. I like and trust 1.2.6 and I use it on my Windows staff laptop and on the significant other's iBook.

Ta

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I believe the issue actually has to do with Software Playthrough. I get this when I am trying to record with my M-audio Delta 44 but not my RME Digi 96/8 for some reason. Pulse Audio is completely unusable when with the Software Playthrough option enabled either. It does record however but is extremely messed up. Disabling Software Playthrough (while it is extremely annoying having to do so) fixes the problem. Hopefully somebody is on this problem and a fix will be available soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast